VMware Cloud Community
mrbudman
Contributor
Contributor

Poor Network Performance hp N40L with esxi 5u1 and vmxnet3

I have a hp N40L and getting great performance with it, loving it..  Between vms on same vswitch seeing 1.5Gbps easy, last test was 1.62 using vmxnet3 on 2k8r2 and win7

From physical network to vm seeing 750 to 900Mbps.  Moving files to vm seeing around 80MBps write and 90MBps read.. More than happy with a $270 toy for my home testing/lab, etc.

But a buddy from another forum is not seeing anything close to the performance I and others are seeing.  He gets like 300Mbps from vm to vm over vswitch, where I see 1.5GBps  To real world seeing same kind of performance maybe 355Mbps, etc..  Here is a thread with lots of details -

http://www.neowin.net/forum/topic/1071115-esxi-hp-microserver-n40l-performance/

Any ideas to what could cause really bad performance over just the vswitch?  Same port group.  No tweaks to driver or tcp/ip in the os 2k8r2

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
cpressland
Contributor
Contributor

Bump.

0 Kudos
tropix
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hello mrbudman, how are you??

Last week I bought a N40L to do some tests to my Master´s degree. :smileylaugh:

I bumped to 8GB RAM and install two additional 500GB SATA disks.

So, now I have 1x 250GB and 2x500GB. I want create a RAID 0 with 2x 500GB disks, but ESXi doesnt recognizes these two disks as a RAID 0 Logical Disks.

Do you configured any kind of RAID Array on your environment?

Thanks,

Best,

Eduardo.

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".
0 Kudos