VMware Cloud Community
RichardBush
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Poor IOPS from 3Par FC VMFS Volume vs RDM

Hi All,

I have a question to see if I have missed anything obvious prior to opening a HP and VMware case for this.

We have a new 3Par 7400 array, 8 DL 360 Gen 9 hosts with HP (Emulex rebrand) Lpe12000 series HBA 8GB.

At the moment the hosts are running a handful of VM's for Vcenter, VUM, storage management etc, on a single host we presented some LUNS (SSD R1, FC R1, FC R5 etc) and created separate datastores, created a New 2012R2 VM and some smallish 20gb disks on each of the datastores. The VM is running LSI Logic SAS controller. 4CPU and 16GB Ram. MP is set to RR.

Running IO Meter with 4k 50% Read 0% Radom, we are seeing sub 1000 IOPS coming from the disks, as a comparison an RDM disk was presented in physical mode to this VM, this is getting some 42K IOPS.

I have confirmed that the max queue depth setting has been applied to the LUN as per 3par best practices, also the Disk.QfullSampleSize and Disk.QFullThreshold. The host is running update 3, and firmware is up to date. The Array is built up of 16 SSD, 64 FC and 24 NL disks. Assigning disks directly from the SSD doesn't seem to improve the performance.

The max latency is also huge around 170 ms in IO Meter, the average seems ok, however ESXTOP doesn't see anything like this latency, neither does the array controller its self, both see around 1.5ms. From an RDM I see max IO 8ms, average 0.3.

Anyone have any suggestions from a Host or VM configuration point of view?

Rich

0 Kudos
3 Replies
brunofernandez1

the recommended configuration for esx server you can find here:

http://www.vmware.com/resources/compatibility/detail.php?deviceCategory=san&productid=21068&deviceCa...

as i can see:

SATP: VMW_SATP_ALUA

PSP: VMW_PSP_RR or VMW_PSP_MRU

I would also trie to use the paravirtual SCSI controller for the VM if you want to recieve high IOPS Rates

------------------------------------------------------------------------------- If you found this or any other answer helpful, please consider to award points. (use Correct or Helpful buttons) Regards from Switzerland, B. Fernandez http://vpxa.info/
0 Kudos
RichardBush
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Para-V isn't really an option as this system will house around 500 VM's that will be migrated over from the current 5.1 hardware and array. I d expect more than 1000Iops capability from the LSI controller. Mainly because the VM's on the current VM's running LSI are able to achieve more than this.

Interestingly 3.2.1 MU3 on 5.5U3 showing a rather old device driver ,lpfc 10.0.575.8. the HP Base 5.5U3 is running lpfc 10.5.39.0-1OEM.550.0.0.1331820

Worth downgrading the device driver do you think ?

R

0 Kudos
brunofernandez1

I just said to use the Para-V controller to test if you have same poor IOPS.

try do download the latest driver:

VMware ESXi 5.5 lpfc-10.6.126.0 FC/FCoE Driver for Emulex and OEM Branded Adapters

------------------------------------------------------------------------------- If you found this or any other answer helpful, please consider to award points. (use Correct or Helpful buttons) Regards from Switzerland, B. Fernandez http://vpxa.info/
0 Kudos