VMware Cloud Community
SantoshCheela
Contributor
Contributor

Please suggest a mother board from Gigabyte for the following System Configuration.

I am new to vmware world.I bought a new CPU to start my home lab.
Configuration: Processor i7 4790 LGA1150,Mother Board B85M-DS3H-A,24GB(8*3 DDR31600Mhz)RAM, 1TB Seagate Survilence SATA HD.
When I tred to install ESXi 5.X my HD is not detected. But when I install Windows 8 I am able to view my HD. When I checked with couple of Experts they said this motherboard is not on Vmware Compatible List. So I need to customize it. Since its a new System I went to the place where I bought it and explained this, he was convinced and asked me to get a couple of motherboard models which are compatible with my Sytem Configuration.

Please help me in providing the Model numbers from Gigabyte else please let me know the process how to find it....Thank you in advance.

4 Replies
cann0nf0dder
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

As suggested in the other post,

Once you go here (HCL search) http://www.vmware.com/resources/compatibility/search.php

hope that helps.

0 Kudos
SantoshCheela
Contributor
Contributor

I tried but I couldn't get the model number...

0 Kudos
SavkoorSuhas
Expert
Expert

Hello Santosh,

Go to,

vmware.com/go/hcl

Under Product Release Version, select the required ESXi version.

Under System Type, select Motherboard

Click Update And View Results

Browse through the search for list of compatible mother boards.

For example,

I selected ESXi 5.5 U2 and Motherboard

The gigabyte motherboards I found were:

GIGA-BYTE TECHNOLOGY CO., LTD.MD60-SC0Intel Xeon E5-2600-v3 Series
ESXi
5.5 U2
GIGA-BYTE TECHNOLOGY CO., LTD.MD70-HB0Intel Xeon E5-2600-v3 Series
ESXi
5.5 U2
GIGA-BYTE TECHNOLOGY CO., LTD.MD70-HB1Intel Xeon E5-2600-v3 Series
ESXi
5.5 U2

If there is no Gigabyte motherboard listed for your ESXi, then it is not supported.

Suhas

If you found this or any other answer helpful, please consider the use of the Helpful or Correct buttons to award points.

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or Correct buttons to award points.

Don't Backup. Go Forward!
Rubrik

0 Kudos
cykVM
Expert
Expert

As you see in Savkoor's screenshot from HCL only server/workstation mainboards from Gigabyte are listed there. Those would need a Xeon CPU and probably different type of RAM (ECC).

There are no desktop mainboards listed in VMWare's HCL. That's what I tried to explain you in the other thread.

If you need to use a desktop mainboard you have to go the customization route and manually add the needed drivers to the installation image. You may check v-front's VIB depot for community drivers, see https://vibsdepot.v-front.de/wiki/index.php/Welcome

For a fully compatible system listed in HCL you have to swap all the components you already bought and get a Xeon system but this will cost a lot more than the one you have.

Maybe you can find some used/refurbished DELL/HP server for cheap(er) to get a compatible system.