VMware Cloud Community
jkociol
Contributor
Contributor

Please recommend a Mother Board and AMD processor that is known to run ESXi for training (low cost)

Trying to learn and practice ESXi server and would like to build a PC that is virtualization compatible.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
golddiggie
Champion
Champion

Look on the Ultimate ESX Whitebox web site and pick a combination that lists the correct compatibilities...

Personally, I wouldn't use AMD processors... Go with Intel, especially Xeon's...

VMware VCP4

Consider awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers.

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

0 Kudos
redbaron51
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Where are you based?

In the UK you can get a cheap Proliant Ml115 G5 (Opteron 1354 - FT compatible).

I am configuring my lab as follows:

3x Proliant Ml115 G5

2x esxi4 on USB (8Gb non-ecc ram each)

1x openfiler on USB (3x1Tb RAID5)

Procurve 1810g-8

I believe I will be able to perform most of the cool featuresusing this setup.

Hop this helps

-

Somewhat learning VMware --- If you found the post useful please award correct/helpful points.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- If you found the post useful please award correct/helpful points.
0 Kudos
golddiggie
Champion
Champion

IF you're going to get a managed switch, at least get one with full CLI capabilities, such as the 2510G line... Especially if you're looking to learn from the configuration and apply that knowledge in the workplace. Not knowing, to at least a moderate degree, the CLI is doing yourself a disservice.

I, also, would stay clear of using the USB drives for iSCSI targets. Use a real RAID card (hardware, not software) for the drives. Otherwise, the performance is going to be poor (especially RAID 5 on three drives, RAID 10 on four drives would be much better). I would also make sure the NICs are all jumbo frame capable, and you enable it on the hosts, SAN, and switch ports.

VMware VCP4

Consider awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers.

0 Kudos
rpcblast
Contributor
Contributor

if you are not needing production, you can get a system off ebay for roughly 200, and all you need to add is memory and a HD(rackable systems, uses an asus kfsn4-dre/sas board, which once u get past bios version 1009 works decently. It comes with 2 dual core AMD 2214s. AMD systems can be cheaper to get started,.

The KFSN4 board, as asll as the tyan 2912 are pretty cheap socket F boards, but the 2912 is a lil tricky to get working with quads.

0 Kudos
J1mbo
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Another vote for HP's ML115 G5. There are quite a few articles on these machines with ESXi for lab use at http://www.techhead.co.uk. Supply is a bit thin now (superceded by the G6 models) but they do still come up for under £200 as stated already. Agree on the disk comments too.

http://blog.peacon.co.uk

Please award points to any useful answer.

0 Kudos