VMware Cloud Community
ikemp
Contributor
Contributor

Please help me unconfuse. ESXI 6.x

I am running esxi 6 and wish to update if necessary.

I under stand vsphere 6.0 is no longer supported and to use the web client

I have downloaded VMware-VIM-all-6.5.0-5973321.iso

This includes the updater. and Apparently must be run on a server

Questions is how much of this iso do I need and can it be run on server that is a VM?

I am afraid that installing the Vcenter-server will Blow up my installation.

Thank you in advance

0 Kudos
5 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

End of general support for vSphere 6.0 is March 2020 (see https://www.vmware.com/content/dam/digitalmarketing/vmware/en/pdf/support/product-lifecycle-matrix.p... )

I can't tell you exactly how much additional disk space you'll need for an upgrade, but you should have a few GB free disk space. Btw. the recommendation is to move towards the vCenter Server Appliance, rather than continuing with the Windows version. This however depends on your environment, and e.g. installed/required plugins.

André

0 Kudos
ikemp
Contributor
Contributor

IS the vserver appliance run as a separate vm and how does one get it.?

The before question is specific to the file i downloaded can that be installed on a existing vm win server without destroying the vm  it not a question of how bidg the update is.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

The vCenter Server Appliance is deployed as a separate virtual machine, and - in case you go with the 6.5 Update 1 version - provides an option to migrate your existing vCenter Server 6.0, i.e. take over the settings (assuming that it is a dedicate Windows Server for vCenter, i.e. no other services running on it). The vCSA can be downloaded from the VMware download section, likely the same location from where you downloaded the Windows installer.

The installation image you downloaded can be used to install, or upgrade vCenter Server. Whether you can install it on an existing server depends on what's already running on this server, and whether it meets the prerequisites (see Installation Guide). I'd suggest that in case you want to use the Windows version, that you use a dedicated Windows Server for it.

André

0 Kudos
ikemp
Contributor
Contributor

OK Now I understand thank you I tried to download the virtual server appliance but I was told I am not licenced for it.

So I think I will use an existing server and only extract the updater from it. the windows package.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

... but I was told I am not licenced for it.

That's strange, because the Appliance uses the same license as the Windows based version!? So you should be able to download it from using same account, which you used to download the other edition.

André

0 Kudos