VMware Cloud Community
rayzz23
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Please help me master !!

Hello, I have a problem on my Windows Server 2003. I have 2 partition which are C and D. C is my system and D is my data. My C is running out of space and I want to extend it. But I can't do that with the third partition tools because it is unable to extend to the system hard drive. What should I do ? Please help me..

Thank You.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RubyIvy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi rayzz23,

If you want to extend the size of c: which is your system partition for windows 2003 , please perform the below steps:

1 . Power off the vm.

2. Detach the hard disk from this vm . (Right click the vm -> Edit settings ->Remove hard disk)

3.Attach this Disk to one of the other Windows 2003 Vm as a data Disk.

4. Bring the Disk Online from Disk management.

5. Follow the steps in the Kb to extend the size of the disk. VMware KB: Extending partitions in Windows using DiskPart

6.Detach the disk from this VM , Attach it to the original Vm and power it ON.

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
jasonxing
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

If you want to extend system partition , you must be Use another vm  to mount it.

0 Kudos
RubyIvy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi rayzz23,

If you want to extend the size of c: which is your system partition for windows 2003 , please perform the below steps:

1 . Power off the vm.

2. Detach the hard disk from this vm . (Right click the vm -> Edit settings ->Remove hard disk)

3.Attach this Disk to one of the other Windows 2003 Vm as a data Disk.

4. Bring the Disk Online from Disk management.

5. Follow the steps in the Kb to extend the size of the disk. VMware KB: Extending partitions in Windows using DiskPart

6.Detach the disk from this VM , Attach it to the original Vm and power it ON.

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful.
0 Kudos
Wh33ly
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

You can use extpart instead of diskpart, 9 out of 10 times it's possible to extend it when diskpart fails. It's a free tool from Dell which I have been using a lot in our server environment.

http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/19/driverdetails?driverid=R64398

VI. USAGE

extpart [volume size]

volume - the volume to extend. e.g. f:, g:, etc (only basic volumes)

size - the size in megabytes by which to extend the volume.

Example:

To extend the g: volume by 1 GB (1024 MB) use the following command:

extpart g: 1024

If it fails you should try extpart or diskpart in "Safe mode" this should work anyway.

0 Kudos
vhenryanchante
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hola, espero entiendas mi spanish, te comento que primero debes de validar si tu disco duro esta en thin provision, aumentar el espacio necesario validarlo en la administración de disco en windows server 2003, para poder expandir te recomiendo uses la herramienta de DELL expart.

http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/download.aspx?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&releaseid=R64398&forma...

existen otras herramientas, pero yo siempre he usado esta y no tengo ningún problema.

0 Kudos
Activer
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Use vCenter Converter to convert this VM to a New VM, you can choose the size of both partition C,D

0 Kudos
rayzz23
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

But actually I still can not extend the partition by attaching the harddisk into another VM of Windows Server 2003 although it had been detected as the storage partition. How about it ? Thank You.

0 Kudos
Wh33ly
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Like I said before, there is no need to remove the disk if you use extpart. (in some cases extpart won't work and you should do it in safe mode).

I don't know why you should take the hassle to remove the disk, add it to another VM, extend, remove and re-add it....takes a lot more time and risks then the option I mention.

What if you do something wrong and corrupt the disk from your other VM-add actions ?

You then lost your OS disk...

0 Kudos