VMware Cloud Community
Dphiance
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Please Help! Nested ESX 4 Networking Issue. No Service Console Access!

Hi, im setting up a home lab to help prepare for VCP certification and have run into a problem. I've been trying to fix this all day and have done extesive googleing to no avail.

Current VMs:

6 x ESX 4 Update 1 (Hostnames = 8VESXC1N1 - 3 and 8VESXC2N1 - 3)

1 x Server 2008 DataCenter (Hostname = Cedar)

1 x Openfiler 2.3 (Hostname = Oak)

1 x UDA 2.0 (Hostname =Pine)

My vSwitch setup looks like this:

Currently I have each of the ESX VM's setup with one NIC in the Service Console port group. They are addressed from 192.168.10.51 - 192.168.10.53 for what will be cluster 1 and 192.168.10.61 - 192.168.10.63 for cluster 2 (all with 24 bit masks). yet for some reason I cant connect to or ping them from either a laptop sitting on the other side of the physical interface (with IP in same range) or from the "Cedar" VM.

If it has any bearing then my domain controller and DNS is through 192.168.10.40 (the Cedar VM)

Im using the E1000 type vmnic and my physical interface is a Intel PRO1000 GT which is listed in the HCL.

Command Outputs:

Any ideas Smiley Sad

Cheers

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

0 Kudos
6 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Did you enable promiscuous mode on vSwitch0?

André

EDIT:

http://www.vcritical.com/2009/05/vmware-esx-4-can-even-virtualize-itself/

0 Kudos
Dphiance
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for your quick reply!

I don't have promiscuous mode enabled, how would this help? I assume this would let any host on the switch see all traffic on the switch? Why would this be needed?

Thanks

Adam

0 Kudos
Dphiance
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

IT worked! Thankyou soooo much.. I'm still really curious as to why this is need if you wouldn't mind explaining.

0 Kudos
Dphiance
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Cheers got the edit!

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Adam,

the reason for promiscious mode for the "outer" vSwitch0 is, that you not only nested ESX but also nested vSwitches.

The "inner" service console is connected to the "inner" vSwitch, which has an uplink to the "outer" vSwitch0. Therfore all traffic needs to be passed to the nested/inner vSwitch in order to reach the service console.

André

0 Kudos
Datto
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Chiming in a little late to this thread -- just wanted to mention that rather than engaging Promiscuous Mode on the entire VSwitch, you can just engage Promiscuous Mode (change to Accept from the default of Reject) for the Service Console Port and the Virtual Machine Port.

Datto

0 Kudos