VMware Cloud Community
vipclubber
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Please Assist with Moving 10.8TB VM to 6.0U2

Currently I am running VMware-ESXi-5.5.0-1331820-HP-5.71.3-Sep2013 (with Update 1) on:

[Old Server] HP BL460C G7 E5640 blade

I just upgraded my equipment to: [New Server] HP DL360p Gen8 2x 2.60GHz 8C E5-2670 96GB

with VMware-ESXi-6.0.0-Update2-3620759-HPE-600.9.6.5.7-Dec2016-depot

However I need a reliable plan to move 10.8TB VM from old server to new.

I have upgraded BIOS and firmware on New HP Server and installed ESXi 6.0U2 (60 Days eval)

However, I have purchased VS6-ESSL-KIT-C VMware vSphere Essentials Kit ( v. 6 ) - license (3 hosts, 2 CPUs)

This license has vCenter but I believe no vMotion. I have the following questions:

1. Both old and new servers are on the same VLAN. What is the best mechanism to setup this huge vmware folder transfer? How would you do it?

2. When I begin the install of vCenter 6.0 what database should I choose: its own, SQL or Oracle. I do not have Oracle. I have SQL. Can I install vCenter on Windows Server 2012 R2? Any other advise on vCenter is strongly appreciated.

3. Where can I download vCenter 6.0 and which version would I need?

0 Kudos
10 Replies
DavoudTeimouri
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

1. For moving the machine to new server, you have the below options:

1. Using backup & restore software to take backup from VM and move it to new server.
  2. Using replication software to replicate VM between servers.

2.You can install it on MSSQL and Windows Server 2012 R2. Also you can check your OS and DB compatibility with VMware products on this link: http://partnerweb.vmware.com/comp_guide2/sim/interop_matrix.php?

3. https://my.vmware.com/group/vmware/info?slug=datacenter_cloud_infrastructure/vmware_vsphere/6_0

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Davoud Teimouri - https://www.teimouri.net - Twitter: @davoud_teimouri Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/teimouri.net/
0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

I'd actually go with the VCSA (vCenter Server Appliance) rather than the Windows based version. This way you don't need an additional Windows Server license, and you can use the embedded database. Once vCenter Server is installed and configured, and the hosts are connected to it, you can do a cold migration (i.e. with the VM being powered off) to the new host.

André

0 Kudos
vipclubber
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

1. Can I use SCP command to copy between hosts? Sure it is slow but is it not another reliable way?

2. Another reply recommends using Server Appliance instead of Wins Server/SQL install.

Is Appliance installed on the ESXi host itself taking away from the operational power of the host?

Will Win/SQL install be more performance efficient than appliance? Please advise.

3. Which download to choose? What are the differences between U2, U2a and U2M?

4. When I try to download a get this message. Any ideas? Thanks in advance...

2017-01-21_21-13-58.jpg

0 Kudos
vipclubber
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi a.p.

Suppose Windows license is not an issue. I have them.

What is best option vCenter Server Appliance or Wins Server/SQL install?

Is Appliance installed on the ESXi host itself taking away from the operational power of the host?

Will Win/SQL install be more performance efficient than appliance? Please advise.

What happens if the ESXi host goes down with vCenter or if the Windows Server/SQL goes down with vCenter?

What do you mean by cold migration? SCP command?

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

VMware moves more and more towards the appliance, see e.g. The Future of vCenter Server, so you may consider to go that way.

With version 6.5 the appliance even has features, which are not available in the Windows based version.

The appliance will run as a virtual machine on an ESXi host, and you will most likely not notice any performance difference compared to the Windows version..

If the VCSA is down, you will loose some management option, and 3rd party tools like e.g. backup, which connect to vCenter Server will not work. However, unless its the host which is down, the other VMs will continue to run.

With "Cold Migration" you can migrate/move VMs from one host/datatore to another host/datastore from the vCenter Server management user interface, i.e. no need for additional tools. If you want to manually migrate a VM, either export/import the VM to/from an OVF/OVA (from the vSphere Client's "File" menu), use backup/restore, or use VMware's ovftool to do the job (see e.g. http://www.virtuallyghetto.com/2012/06/how-to-copy-vms-directly-between-esxi.html).

Regarding the mentioned download permissions, login using the account on which your Essentials edition has been registered.

André

0 Kudos
vipclubber
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Andre,

Unerstood. What is the difference/advantage between using cold migration vs. SCP command to move it? Which is faster? Please keep in mind we are talking about 1.8TB VM.

Does appliance require any additional downloads?

What is the link to Appliance 6 download page please?

Thanks in advance...

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Migration is faster than e.g. SCP. VMware's file system on the datastore (VMFS) is not designed for native Linux commands, or tools like SCP. In case you are using Thin Provisioning for your virtual disks, migration will preserve this format, SCP will not.

The Center Server Appliance (a single download) is available on the same web page as the Windows based edition.

André

0 Kudos
vipclubber
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Is there a way for me to download an evaluation version of Appliance 6.0 without being prompted to buy license?

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Please try Download VMware vSphere or vSphere with Operations Management Evaluation - Free Managed Virtualizati...

I'm however not sure whether this will allow you to download v6.0, v6.5, or both.

André

0 Kudos
VeyronMick
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

There are so many different ways of doing this it comes down to whats convenient to you.

- Backup VM, and restore it to a new server.

- You could put a physical disk in your old server, create VMFS, copy VM to new VMFS, remove disk, put in new server, move to VMFS on new server.

- If you have a NFS server you could use it as a swing/intermediate datastore

- V2V migration using VMware Converter

- Some people like to look for a Windows solution using tools such as Robocopy (incremental option).

- If you have vSphere Replication available with your vCenter you could use that too.

Too many options available to you too.

Converter is usually the easiest option if you can take the outage, it would allow you to resize the VM if needed too.

0 Kudos