VMware Cloud Community
pdx99
Contributor
Contributor

Planned network configuration

I'm going to be bringing up an ESXi 4 Standard Embedded on a Dell PE R710 and I'm looking for feedback on my planned network configuration. This implementation is going to go in phases with the first phase involving the one ESXi Host using local storage. The next phase (in 3-5 months hopefully) will add a second ESXi Host, upgrade the level of the ESXi software in order to leverage HA, vMotion, etc and add an EqualLogic SAN. My network configuration addresses the full-blown implementation so some pieces aren't used in phase 1.

The PE 710 has eight GB Nics and the plan is:

- Separate Port Groups for vMotion network, VM network and Storage/iSCSI network. No separate Management network is planned since this is ESXi and I don't think it is necessary/recommended.

- Separate vSwitch for each network and two pnics for each vSwitch.

- Individual VLANs for the vMotion and Storage networks, probably using VST mode.

- No VLAN for VM network which will run on same subnet as other production traffic. Reading "The Great Switch Debate" seems to emphasize the need to isolate VM traffic but without internal routing capabilities - and no budget for a router - I can't isolate the VM network and still have it interact w/ physical production network resources.

That leaves two nics available and I'm wondering what the best use of those is. I'll be running Backup Exec 12.5 on a physical machine and will be running VCB proxy on that same machine and will be utilizing the Backup Exec Agent for VMWare to backup up the vms.

Should/can I use the extra nics for the backup data or is there some other good use for them?

If we implement VMWare FT in the future is it recommended to have a separate/isolated network for FT?

Thanks in advance

0 Kudos
1 Reply
AndreTheGiant
Immortal
Immortal

two pnics for each vSwitch

At least 2 PNICs... but you can use also more than 2 Smiley Wink

Remember to keep at least 2 pNICs for iSCSI/NFS traffic if you plan to use this kind of storage in the feature.

If you use Equallogic could be better use more the 2 pNICs...

And think about FT, if you plan to use it you will need a "dedicated" pNIC.

IMHO a possible network architecture could be:

1 vSwitch with 3 pNICs for Management, VMotion and FT

1 vSwitch with 3 pNICs for VM

1 vSwtich with 2 pNIC for iSCSI

If you cannot have a different network for management and vCenter Server (for routing problem), move it to the VM network and reduce the number of pNIC on the first vSwitch.

Andre

Andrew | http://about.me/amauro | http://vinfrastructure.it/ | @Andrea_Mauro
0 Kudos