VMware Cloud Community
StephenITMS
Contributor
Contributor

Pink screen: NMI IPI: Panic requested by another PCPU

Hi Everyone, hope you guys can help? I have the following error displayed on the server's screen when trying to boot - Pink screen: NMI IPI: Panic requested by another PCPU.  Sorry the picture attached is a bit blurry.  I would like to thank you in advance for checking out this post and hope to get some help from you guys.

Stephen

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Kinnison
Commander
Commander

Hello,

Often NMI errors can be attributed to a large number of possible causes, software, hardware, incompatibility or a combination of together, in short, by looking only at a photograph it is not so simple to determine the cause of a problem and its possible solution.

However, IMO some things rather general can be said, namely that that build of ESXi is quite dated and notoriously not free from problems, one of the reasons why it was removed as documented here: https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/86398 then you should also take into consideration that your system (which you say nothing about) may require firmware updates released in the meantime by its manufacturers. I also do not overlook the fact that in the most recent product versions improvements and remedies for vulnerabilities identified at a later time have been introduced.

Regards,
Ferdinando

0 Kudos