VMware Cloud Community
JordanBeer
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Ping to host ip drops but vms never drop

Vmware 8.0 update 2 host 

Pings to host drop 1 packet every 20-30 pings but pings to vm running on same machine never drop?  Other hosts same switch not having this issue?  Any ideas?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JordanBeer
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I figured out the issue, one of the ports was tagged for the wrong vlan on the switch. correcting that stabilized the host.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
NateNateNAte
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Well, unless there's a hard drop in connectivity, it sounds as if there is a collision issue in your network, which could be random, it could be actual physical wiring/cabling.  

Because you're talking about (it appears) an intermittent drop, and other elements of your infrastructure are still online...I would lean towards a "quick" check of the physical connections and cabling.  If you can isolate the drop via a tracert to a specific switch or port group, that may narrow the search. 

0 Kudos
JordanBeer
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

replaced cables and sfp and still no luck so I took the adapter out of the virtual switch  default management network and put it on another virtual switch and then it stayed stable.   I am not sure why but when I have two nics in the management swtich set to standby it was causing the packet loss.  More testing needed but issue is not urgent anymore.

0 Kudos
trobertson
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I agree with Nate here.  I've seen this kind of results with ip conflicts and multi-uplink network paths.

To troubleshoot, you could try swapping some to the cabling/ports/interfaces around and see if the results change.  I would recommend making small changes, test the results, and then reset the changes until you can find some commonality to the issue.  This will hopefully help you narrow down the culprit. 

0 Kudos
JordanBeer
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I figured out the issue, one of the ports was tagged for the wrong vlan on the switch. correcting that stabilized the host.

0 Kudos