VMware Cloud Community
jjpotter
Contributor
Contributor

Ping requests timeout to Host ESX Server (Dropped Packets)

I am running an ESXi 4.1.0 Build 260247 server. It is running on a Dell T410. (Only one NIC plugged in)

While in vSphere I am recieving error messages about losing connection (will get the exact message once I see it again). If I try to ping the server I will eventually get a series of timeouts that last a second or two.

I have tried swapping out a few different cables and swapped switch ports to rule all that out. I have another ESX 3.5 server running off the same switch/network and it has not had any problems.

I have attached a log file. What catches my eye is this portion:

Arg version:

"161"

Throw vmodl.fault.RequestCanceled

Result:

(vmodl.fault.RequestCanceled) {

dynamicType = ,

faultCause = (vmodl.MethodFault) null,

msg = "",

}

Failed to read header on stream TCP(local=127.0.0.1:55423, peer=127.0.0.1:0): N7Vmacore15SystemExceptionE(Connection reset by peer)

This is probably a shot in the dark but I

0 Kudos
9 Replies
pcerda
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hi,

It's really weird what is happening to you. Have you checked the network adapter? If there is no problem on switches or cables, so you should check the network adapter on the server.

Regards / Saludos

-

Patricio Cerda !http://www.images.wisestamp.com/linkedin.png!

VMware VCP-410

Join to Virtualizacion en Español group in Likedin

See My Blog

See My Linkedin Profile

-

Si encuentras que esta o cualquier otra respuesta ha sido de utilidad, vótalas. Gracias.

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer helpful or correct. Thank you.

Regards / Saludos - Patricio Cerda - vExpert 2011 / 2012 / 2013
0 Kudos
legaultp1
Contributor
Contributor

hello

i have the same problem across all my esxi 4.1 server's

However, on the ESX-I 4.0 SP2, the problem does not occur

The system that show this error were once ESX-I 4.0 SP2 before we upgrade them to test and use the Authentication services

Aug 20 01:01:22 Hostd: Activation : Invoke done on

Aug 20 01:01:22 Hostd: Arg version:

Aug 20 01:01:22 Hostd: "2"

Aug 20 01:01:22 Hostd: Throw vmodl.fault.RequestCanceled

Aug 20 01:01:22 Hostd: Result:

Aug 20 01:01:22 Hostd: (vmodl.fault.RequestCanceled) {

Aug 20 01:01:22 Hostd: dynamicType = <unset>,

Aug 20 01:01:22 Hostd: faultCause = (vmodl.MethodFault) null,

Aug 20 01:01:22 Hostd: msg = "",

Aug 20 01:01:22 Hostd: }

Aug 20 01:01:22 Hostd: Failed to read header on stream TCP(local=127.0.0.1:59597, peer=127.0.0.1:0): N7Vmacore15SystemExceptionE(Connection reset by peer)

0 Kudos
dirtdevil01
Contributor
Contributor

I'm having the exact same problem. Same error message, same version of esxi 4.1. What is going on??? I'm using a supermicro motherboard with dual xeon cpus and a big ol heap ton of memory.

0 Kudos
chadwickking
Expert
Expert

A couple of things to try and check.

1. Try swapping cables with a "known" good cable

2. If using managed switching or normal switches make sure speed/duplex settings match across the board - Check switch settings/pNIC settings on the host - Try to AVOID using "auto negotiation" if possible.

3. Ping from the host to gateway - continusously to see if you get dropped packets when going "outbound"

Also just because we are seeing "timeouts" doesn't mean that something hardware may be causing an issue - other than the NIC. If you can test the switch connection by swapping connections or testing the port that would help. Also look at any logs on the switch if it is managed. Also it would help if you can upload the vmkernel logs - if this is esxi it would be in /var/messages I believe.

Here is the common log file structure in ESXi

• /var/log/vmware/hostd.log – ESXi Service Log

• var/log/vmware/vpx/vpxa.log – vCenter Agent Logs

• /var/log/messages – Syslog Log (Combines vmkernel & hostd)

I am curious about the hardware state of the server.

Here is the common log file structure in ESX (Source)

• /var/log/vmware/hostd.log – ESX Service Log

• var/log/vmware/vpx/vpxa.log – vSphere Client Agent Logs

• /var/log/vmware/aam – VMware HA Logs

• /var/logvmkernel – VMKernel Messages

• /var/log/vmkwarning – VMKernel Warnings

• /var/log/messages – Service Console Log

Cheers,

Chad King

VCP-410 | Server+

Twitter:

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

Cheers, Chad King VCP4 Twitter: http://twitter.com/cwjking | virtualnoob.wordpress.com If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
Ace007
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Its weird, but can suggest you the same as Chadwikking suggested, additional to that work around on collisions in your network, it happens if your esx is affected with that.

0 Kudos
chadwickking
Expert
Expert

Are you still having the issues? Also, are you currently running the latest updates on you ESX host? You also might want to check for any updates for your network driver.

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

Cheers,

Chad King

VCP-410 | Server+

Twitter: http://twitter.com/cwjking

Cheers, Chad King VCP4 Twitter: http://twitter.com/cwjking | virtualnoob.wordpress.com If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
RTmxa
Contributor
Contributor

I see the same error in my logs.

I am unable to connect to ESXi through vSphere at all. The only way I can is if I constantly ping from the ESXi to the gateway.

Are the two issues related?

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

Please create a new post and describe your situation in as much detail as possible and anything you may have already done to troubleshoot the problem. Feel free to add a link to this discussion for reference.

Forum Upgrade Notice - the VMware Communities forums will be upgraded the weekend of December 12th. The forum will be in read-only mode from Friday, December 10th 6 PM PST until Sunday, December 12th 2 AM PST.

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

i had an similar problem with the connection of ESXi 4.1 host systems to the vCenter Server (screenshot). In my case the vCenter (Windows Server 2008 R2) firewall was activated and my ESXi hosts lost their connection in several timelines...

Turning off the firewall solves my problem...

best regards

Christian

0 Kudos