VMware Cloud Community
Picche
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Physical Vcenter crash.

I have two ESX Server 4.0 + 1 vCenter physical. The vCenter crash (hardware problem),

now I have prepared another physical vCenter , I have to connect the two servers ESX 4.0 to the new vCenter or is there 'to do something else?

thank you very much.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kumarsenthild
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi,

Yes you can connect new VCenter(its shows some warning, ignore that)... if u get error like this" this host connect in the different VCenter. then you need to restart the vpxa service in two esx host , if get again error you need to remove the vmware-vpxa in two host, after that it should connect to new VCenter..

how to uninstal vmware-vpxa in host:-

Disconnect the ESX host in VirtualCenter. Right-click the host and click Disconnect.

Paste the following string of commands into the SSH session:

service mgmt-vmware stop && service vmware-vpxa stop && service vmware-vmkauthd stop && service xinetd restart && rpm -qa | grep -i vpxa | awk '{print $1}' | xargs rpm -ef $1 && userdel vpxuser && rpm -qa | grep -i aam | awk '{print $1}' | xargs rpm -ef $1 && service mgmt-vmware start && service vmware-vmkauthd start

Note: This is a concatenated list of commands strung together with the "&&" operator. This is useful in stringing together multiple commands as the next command does not start until the previous one has completed successfully.

Here is a description of the commands:

The service mgmt-vmware stop && service vmware-vpxa stop && service vmware-vmkauthd stop && service xinetd restart command stops the management services for the service console.

The rpm -qa | grep -i vpxa | awk '{print $1}' | xargs rpm -ef $1 command removes the vpxa agent.

The userdel vpxuser command removes the vpxa user that gets installed once you connect the host to VirtualCenter.

The rpm -qa | grep -i aam | awk '{print $1}' | xargs rpm -ef $1 command removes the AAM RPM (HA) which gets reinstalled when you configure HA.

The service mgmt-vmware start && service vmware-vmkauthd start command following restarts the services.

The vmware-cmd -l command lets you know when hostd is up and running so you can reattach it to VirtualCenter.

Note: When you see a list of virtual machines output, the command sequence is complete.

Choose the ESX host from the Inventory.

Right-click on the ESX host and click Connect. This step initiates a re-install of the agent.

To reinstall the VMware HA components:

Type rpm -qa | grep -i aam

This returns two packages that are named similar to:

VMware-aam-haa-#.#.#-#

VMware-aam-vcint-#.#.#-#

Remove these packages using rpm -e followed by the name of one of the returned packages. Repeat for both files.

Run the command:

rpm -qa | grep -i vpxa

A package named VMware-vpxa-#.#.#-##### is returned.

Remove this package using rpm -e followed by the name of one of the returned packages.

Test adding the host to the newly created Vcenter to see if this has resolved the issue.

Source

Regards

Senthil Kumar D

Regards Senthil Kumar D

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
kumarsenthild
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi,

Yes you can connect new VCenter(its shows some warning, ignore that)... if u get error like this" this host connect in the different VCenter. then you need to restart the vpxa service in two esx host , if get again error you need to remove the vmware-vpxa in two host, after that it should connect to new VCenter..

how to uninstal vmware-vpxa in host:-

Disconnect the ESX host in VirtualCenter. Right-click the host and click Disconnect.

Paste the following string of commands into the SSH session:

service mgmt-vmware stop && service vmware-vpxa stop && service vmware-vmkauthd stop && service xinetd restart && rpm -qa | grep -i vpxa | awk '{print $1}' | xargs rpm -ef $1 && userdel vpxuser && rpm -qa | grep -i aam | awk '{print $1}' | xargs rpm -ef $1 && service mgmt-vmware start && service vmware-vmkauthd start

Note: This is a concatenated list of commands strung together with the "&&" operator. This is useful in stringing together multiple commands as the next command does not start until the previous one has completed successfully.

Here is a description of the commands:

The service mgmt-vmware stop && service vmware-vpxa stop && service vmware-vmkauthd stop && service xinetd restart command stops the management services for the service console.

The rpm -qa | grep -i vpxa | awk '{print $1}' | xargs rpm -ef $1 command removes the vpxa agent.

The userdel vpxuser command removes the vpxa user that gets installed once you connect the host to VirtualCenter.

The rpm -qa | grep -i aam | awk '{print $1}' | xargs rpm -ef $1 command removes the AAM RPM (HA) which gets reinstalled when you configure HA.

The service mgmt-vmware start && service vmware-vmkauthd start command following restarts the services.

The vmware-cmd -l command lets you know when hostd is up and running so you can reattach it to VirtualCenter.

Note: When you see a list of virtual machines output, the command sequence is complete.

Choose the ESX host from the Inventory.

Right-click on the ESX host and click Connect. This step initiates a re-install of the agent.

To reinstall the VMware HA components:

Type rpm -qa | grep -i aam

This returns two packages that are named similar to:

VMware-aam-haa-#.#.#-#

VMware-aam-vcint-#.#.#-#

Remove these packages using rpm -e followed by the name of one of the returned packages. Repeat for both files.

Run the command:

rpm -qa | grep -i vpxa

A package named VMware-vpxa-#.#.#-##### is returned.

Remove this package using rpm -e followed by the name of one of the returned packages.

Test adding the host to the newly created Vcenter to see if this has resolved the issue.

Source

Regards

Senthil Kumar D

Regards Senthil Kumar D
0 Kudos
Picche
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

hi, thanks for your answer,

you says: "Disconnect the ESX host in VirtualCenter. Right-click the host and click Disconnect"

but my vcenter is dead.

0 Kudos
kumarsenthild
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi,

Typo...

Skip the first step

Regards

Senthil Kumar D

Regards Senthil Kumar D