VMware Cloud Community
GeorgeScorpio
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Physical HDD add to VMware ESXi 5.1

I have come across a setup of a Dell Power Edge T110 ii server with a VMware ESXi 5.1.

This was not built by me, i found it here. i have come accross the need to expand the storage of the VMware, but i need to add a new physical HDD.

I am afraid to make any changes to the system, because there is no backup present for the VM.

If i shutdown the Physical machine and plug in the extra HDD, how can i declare it to the WMware, so as to set the backup of the VM?

Thank you all in advance.

Sincerely George I.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
pavitb
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

When you restart the server, you should see an option to create a storage array before the ESXi starts to boot up (this option is available for almost all the servers and appears between POST and boot process). Select the option and create a RAID 0 array on the second HDD. Boot up the ESXi server after that. You have to be sure that the second HDD is not in use or it will be formatted.

When the ESXi has booted up, go to Configuration -> Storage -> Rescan All. After the rescan is complete, go to Add Storage and you should see the array you just created. After you've added storage, it will be visible as a datastore to the ESXi.

Let me know how it went.

Pavit

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
pavitb
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

George

Do you need to add the HDD to a virtual machine directly or to the ESXi server as a datastore?

Also, is the HDD an external USB or a SAS/SATA hot-plug HDD?

Pavit

0 Kudos
GeorgeScorpio
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Pavit

I need to set it as a datastore to the EXSi server, in order to run the Unitrends Backup & Restore OVA, i just installed to my vSphere Client.

The problem is the full backup of the EXSi VM server.

Is there an other option? I am asking cause the EXSi is a free one!!!

I prefer the storage to be attached through a USB interface (external USB).

Than you in advance.

0 Kudos
pavitb
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

You can add a USB as a datastore although it is not recommended. It doesn't matter if the ESXi is a free one. Here's the (tedious) process to do so:

External USB hard drive detected as SCSI by ESXi, but can it be used for anything?

A better way is to use SAS/SATA hot-plug HDDs. Do you have that option?

Pavit

0 Kudos
GeorgeScorpio
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Everyone left.

Now that i managed to open the server, i just found out that there is an second HDD installed in the system, just unplagged.

Please dont ask me why.

So now i have 2 HDD's installed.

Unfortunattely they are non-RAID configured.

How can i install the second one as a new datastorage?

Thank you in advance.

0 Kudos
pavitb
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

When you restart the server, you should see an option to create a storage array before the ESXi starts to boot up (this option is available for almost all the servers and appears between POST and boot process). Select the option and create a RAID 0 array on the second HDD. Boot up the ESXi server after that. You have to be sure that the second HDD is not in use or it will be formatted.

When the ESXi has booted up, go to Configuration -> Storage -> Rescan All. After the rescan is complete, go to Add Storage and you should see the array you just created. After you've added storage, it will be visible as a datastore to the ESXi.

Let me know how it went.

Pavit

0 Kudos
GeorgeScorpio
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I can see now the second Datastorage thankfully.

But when i try to use it for the Unitrends VM i get the message that there is not enough space to start up the VM.

My head is about to explode!!!!

0 Kudos
pavitb
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Is the second datastore smaller than the VM you are trying to backup?

You're almost through, hang in there a little more Smiley Happy

Pavit

0 Kudos
GeorgeScorpio
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I have finally done it.

The Unitrends is up and running.

All i have to do now is configure it.

Many thanks to you Pavit, you have been more than helpfull.

0 Kudos