VMware Cloud Community
nyplnyc
Contributor
Contributor

Pg/Sec on Capacity Planner Limiting Consolidation Ratio

Hi,

I'm trying to under a recent capacity planner report that we got. The initial batch recommened 14 hosts (8 cores, 16GB) RAM for 70 machines.

The specs seemed low so we tried a few different configs - went all the way up to 16 cores and 128GB RAM and got to 10 hosts.

The limiting factor seems to pg/sec. In the placement rules, pg/sec is set to 2500.

Host 1 has 25 guests at 2,137 pg/sec

Host 6 has 3 guests at 2,448 pg/sec. The guest on host 6 are:

1 - DB Server 4GB RAM 105 pg/sec

2 - SMTP 1.5GB RAM 635 pg/sec

3 - MAIL 2.5GB 1743 pg/sec

What interesting is that MAIL has 8GB RAM as a physical server.

How do I go about reducing pg/sec in the VM to increase the consolidation ratio?

Thanks!

Jay

0 Kudos
3 Replies
amvmware
Expert
Expert

Create your own consolidation scenarios and you can change the default settings.

0 Kudos
nyplnyc
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks. I guess my question is how does one go about selecting the number to use?

I mean I could set it at 50,000 and get my desired consolidation ratio - but would that end up causing me pain later?

0 Kudos
idle-jam
Immortal
Immortal

pg/sec shows the numple of paging that have had happen. from what i will do is during the sizing of the virtualization host i will size up my host memory to be = the size of all vm memory added up + 10% for virtualization. with that in place it would be pretty safe that paging will not happen very frequent. if you have two hosts, then you will need to halve the above value. Anyway memory is cheap nowadays.

iDLE-jAM | VCP 2, VCP 3 & VCP 4

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points

0 Kudos