VMware Cloud Community
grantph
Contributor
Contributor

Petition VMware to Open Source ESXi Thick Client

It's been almost 3 years (1189 days to be exact) since kgottleib openly complained about the web client:

vSphere Web Client SUCKs so bad that my experience managing and supporting VMware has turn to SH**!

I was able to live with a slightly dysfunctional hybrid of old thick client, and the web UI, but as of 6.5 build 5969303, VMware has decided to fully deprecate the old thick client and it will NOT connect.

Despite promises to make the Web UI better, VMware seems incapable of actually delivering a reliable web product, and after 1189 days, 169365 views, and 213 Likes, I don't have any faith in VMware management to resolve this issue.

Instead, I'd like to ask the VMware community to petition Pat Gelsinger, CEO of VMware (actually - might as well petition the entire executive team and board), to Open Source the old thick client. I have far greater faith in the VMware community to create a reliable piece of software than this multi-billion dollar travesty. I'm sure it'd be quicker and cheaper to upload the source to GitHub than to continue this charade of broken promises. This would also free up VMware development and testing resources to focus on making their virtualization products great again - instead of trying to be a failed web company.

If you support this petition: Like this post or add your comments.

In a few weeks I'll hand deliver it to their Palo Alto office - that's how pissed off I am.

Regards,

Grant Henderson

Tags (1)
24 Replies
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Hi Grant
I completely understand your reasons for this petition so I will sign it.
But dont expect any success.
I once had similar ideas and also wrote an open letter to the president of VMware on a different topic. (actually I just asked for some changes in the VMTN community)
Compared with your suggestion I asked for 2 or 3 peanuts ...
Good luck
Ulli Hankeln

Kahonu84
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Count me in.. This idea actually crossed my mind a number of times.

This gesture of goodwill would de-piss alot of people (including yours

truly). I honestly can't think of a compelling reason for them not to

do this (other than making a conscience effort to be jerks).

Bill

didou691
Contributor
Contributor

Totally agree. The main issue is all is so SLOW ! Even with fast hardware. Web is not meant for this usage.

One of my small site is 6.5 essential plus now. I already miss C# client.

Vcsa and esxi enhancements still rocks hopefully.

jrapine
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Absolutely agree. I've just been perusing the VMware support site to find an option to leave feedback about it when I stumbled on this thread. It's certainly no secret that customers are dissatisfied with the web client.

We just recently completed our migration to vCenter 6.5 and all of our technicians have openly complained about the web client. While there have been improvements since the web client's first iteration, it's still a severe downgrade from the thick client. As others have stated, a web client might make sense for light-duty consumer-facing software. But for software as complex and essential as vCenter, flash and HTML simply can't handle the job.

The only positive thing that has come from the web client is that I'm way more proficient in PowerCLI now! I do all I can to avoid the web client.

alsmk2
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Whilst the client is more bearable in 6.5, it is still complete rubbish next to the C# client.

My main complaints are that the flash client is still too slow, and is inconsistent between different browsers. I still find that I have to be logged on in different browsers dependant on what I want to do - unacceptable.

The HTML5 client is still lacking functionality to be suggested as a viable alternative.

I have seen posts from vmware employees in the past stating that their own feedback is that people prefer the webclient. I have yet to meet a single administrator who has this opinion and can only conclude that they've been asking their own developers. Smiley Wink

unsichtbare
Expert
Expert

Yes! Open Source C# Client!

The latest debacle with Chrome/Flash is a perfect example of why the user community needs a "thick" client.

In infrastructure administration, it is imperative that all updates be installed as part of a change management process. It is not now, nor has it been since the introduction of the Web Client, under the complete control of the administrator when, if and how to receive updates that might render connectivity with vCenter!

+The Invisible Admin+ If you find me useful, follow my blog: http://johnborhek.com/
hostasaurus
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Don't seem to be able to 'like' the first post, just the replies; am I missing it somewhere?

andreaspa
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Count me in!

andreaspa
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Don't seem to be able to 'like' the first post, just the replies; am I missing it somewhere?

It's on the right hand side of the website, just below where you can follow it.

JMachieJr
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I have had nothing but issues with the web client and hope that one day VMware will realize what their customers want. And most of us want the thick client back. Please. Pretty please.

VCP-DCV | MCP | Linux+ Twitter: @James_Machie_Jr LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/jmachiejr
chiarbone
Contributor
Contributor

No clue where you are or got with this post.

Regardless, count me in. Web client sucks.  Making other products look more and more attractive at this point. So difficult and a unbearable having to deal with this web client.

VMware, seriously....Enough is enough already.

aaronwcampbell
Contributor
Contributor

I agree wholeheartedly with this idea.  Four words: MAKE IT A FLING.  Per your own website:

"Flings are apps and tools built by our engineers and community that are intended to be played with and explored."

VMware Labs - Flings

An open-source release would allow the community to support each other in the ways we feel we need.  You get to divest yourself of responsibility for it, while at the same time giving admins and developers the opportunity to build on what many feel is a decent tool.  You get appreciation and respect for the move (or if not that, at least forgiveness in the mindshare of your technical customers who feel ignored and unvalued), and we get a capable thick client.

You may feel it's impossible or not worth the effort, but let the community decide that for ourselves.  What would it hurt you?  Worst case scenario, the code is so ugly it's not possible to extend, and we come across some security vulnerabilities too.  But those would be in a tool you have deprecated and no longer support, and would serve as further argument to adopt the HTML5 interface you see as the way forward.  But best case scenario, a group of devoted admins and developers bring the C# client up to speed with the capabilities of 6.0/6.5 and beyond.  Just the thought makes me want to dance.

In the meanwhile, you can continue working on the HTML5 client.  I strongly support an immediate and final movement away from the security nightmare and abomination that is Flash -- for vCenter, ESXi, Horizon View, and anywhere else you're still using it.  (On that note, I'd *love* a Horizon View appliance rather than the Windows install, but that's another subject.)

I like the HTML5 client; it's nice to have a no-install web interface for quick simple tasks from anywhere and I look forward to it being feature-complete soonest.  All I expect is that you make it work consistently on all major OSs and browsers installed in vanilla configurations -- which should be a base design requirement for ANY web client.

TL;DR, I think making this an open source fling would be a PR win for you on many fronts.

hyvokar
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Sign me up.

I dont care if the client is open source or vmware's but by the time we'll upgrade our hardware, if there's no working thick client, that's it for us with esxi.

brickleberry
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

per the vmunderware norm, they refuse to listen to feedback. they give ultimatums, use the crap we give you or find a better/different product. for the outrageous amount of CA$H they get from us alone they could hire a team to maintain the C# client.

can someone please point me to articles that can explain :

• vmunderwares reason for dropping the C# client
  • their blatant refusal to acknowledge the dysfunction of their web client
  • ignoring the cries of the masses to provide a functional product

i request they reimburse my company for the time wasted using their web client, the stress and frustration of using their web client.

@patgelsinger

0 Kudos
9thmsc
Contributor
Contributor

I can say that the VMware Web client is completely unreliable in a DoD environment. It gets broken by so many security policies I can not trust that it will be there when I need it. I have been support VMware since 3.x and since they have introduced the web client it has been downhill. They are shoving this crap down our throats so I for one will be looking for alternatives like Nutanix. When I talk to support I get the same run around, it's your environment not our product. Well, if you want to work in the DoD then you have to deal with security. It is that simple. It seems to me that VMware has no interest in supporting the DoD.

Thanks for sending the message to the CEO, Pat Gelsinger.

0 Kudos
kwg66
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi Grant - glad you liked my initial post, it has become the most viewed post in the VMTN.   I'd like to say I'm proud of it, but I'm really not, because I make a living off VMware technology, not working for VMware but as a VMware consultant and SME.   This web client is truly horrible, the only think I like about it at all is the ability to access more easy to read logs without having to log into a shell. 

OK, so to the point, where do I sign, and trust me, my signature will be like that of John Hancock, big and bold so everyone can see!

Letze01
Contributor
Contributor

Dear all,

IMHO there will be an (not really secure and comfortable) option - don't upgrade your enviornment! If everybody stops using this annoyng piece of not-working rubbish, I'm sure that VMware will recognize that there is anything wrong...

(BTW - don't believe that other vendors are very interested in their users needs and wishes. But as far as I know, the way not to use their OS was succesful, too... :-))

Regards

Andreas

0 Kudos
MartinSiddall
Contributor
Contributor

Wow shocking, now we have upgraded to 6.5 no VSphere client, using VMWare is now painful and talks twice as long... terrible decision to move to web based client.

rlee09
Contributor
Contributor

I will sign this petition but like many said vmware does not care! not going to 6.5, I have already started looking at Hyper-V and when our esxi hosts are up for a hardware update we will be shifting to Hyper-V. Bye vmware hope you still have many "happy" customers to keep you afloat!