VMware Cloud Community
mristok
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Persistent Issues with QLogic 10GbE nic - Appears and Disappears in vCenter

Please Help!

We had a 10GbE card fail in a vitural host, 5.1 U1.  We replaced the card with an identical card, but the nics never showed up in vCenter.  After hours of fiddling with it, we installed updated drivers and the vmnics are available again in vCenter for the host.  However, the card is nor responding properly.  The nics are available, then they are down, then they disappear, then htey reappear and are available again.  This cycle continues endlessly.  We have tried moving the card to a different slot, but it changes nothing.

Any ideas?

Thank you

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
prashanthbgoud
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

is that a HP box??? Get Qlogic drivers from vmware downloads and install it manually. we had similar issues where the manual installation of drivers helped us to resolve.

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful" Best Regards, Prashanth

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
10 Replies
a_nut_in
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Can you upgrade the latest firmware and check?

Do remember to mark my post as "helpful" or "correct" if I've helped resolve or answer your query!
0 Kudos
mristok
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

a_nut_in -

We have upgraded everything to the latest versions.  But this seems to have no effect on the issues that we are seeing.

0 Kudos
a_nut_in
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Is this a blade or stand alone host?

Do remember to mark my post as "helpful" or "correct" if I've helped resolve or answer your query!
0 Kudos
mristok
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

stand alone host

0 Kudos
a_nut_in
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Try this:

1. Power down all VM's or migrate them to other hosts
  2. Shutdown the host
  3. Remove the power cable
  4. With the power cable removed press and hold the power button for 5 secs
  5. Connect power cable back
  6. Power on host and check?

Thanks

a

0 Kudos
mristok
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

what is this meant to accomplish?

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Does the same issue persist when connecting directly to Standalone host from vSphere client using root credentials

0 Kudos
prashanthbgoud
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

is that a HP box??? Get Qlogic drivers from vmware downloads and install it manually. we had similar issues where the manual installation of drivers helped us to resolve.

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful" Best Regards, Prashanth
0 Kudos
a_nut_in
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hey Mristok,

As the card was replaced, this would take care of two things - static charges on the device and resultant firmware hangs/issues if any

Regards

a

mristok
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

prashanthbgoud,

Yes, it is and HP and we have found several drivers sets that are available for this card.  We tried the newest, but it continued to display the same issues.  We looked at the drivers and firmware that are in the other hosts, and we installed that drivers set - and bam it worked.  It has been working for the past 15hours w/o issue.  However we did still experience issues with the new cards on different slots, so we are planning on replacing the motherboard to be safe.

Thanks to all that contributed.

0 Kudos