VMware Cloud Community
iLikeMoney
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Permissions required to change network connection in resource pool

Here's the situation. I have resource pools setup by user name on a standalone ESXi 4.1 host joined to a Windows AD. I have a custom group defined with the name of 'Team'.  When I have a new hire I create a pool for the user and I assign this Team role to the domain user's account.  The user then logs in with thier domain account and sees nothing but their own resource pool which is exactly how I want things to stay.

Two issues have come out of this:

1) the user at times needs to map an iso sitting on the host's local storage to their VMs virtual cd rom drive.

2) the user also has to be able to edit the network connection on the VM and reassign it to one of two virtual switches.

The minimum permissions required to carry out these operations have been identified as follows:

Datastore> Browse datastore

Network > Assign Network

Virtual Machine > Configuration > Modify device settings

Virtual Machine > Configuration > Settings

Now the catch:  These permissions appear to have no effect when applied at the resource pool level. The ability to carry out these actions only becomes possible when I apply it at the host (datacenter) level with propagation enabled, however if I DO that, the user logs in and sees all of the other resource pools.  Has anyone found a workaround for this?  Doesn't seem like rocket science but I've wasted half a day tinkering with it.

Thanks for any help.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

Have you tried to assign just the datastore and network permissions at the host level?

Dave
VMware Communities User Moderator

Free ESXi Essentials training / eBook offer

Now available - VMware ESXi: Planning, Implementation, and Security

Also available - vSphere Quick Start Guide

0 Kudos
iLikeMoney
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Dave thanks for the reply.  Yes I've tried applying those permissions just at the host level.  What I apply at the host level does not apply to VMs within the resource pool unless the access rule has the propagate checkbox enabled.  It's a catch 22 because as soon as propagation is enabled permission works but I can see all of the resource pools. Must be something I'm missing here, I'm doing something dumb.

0 Kudos
Simon_H
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Did you manage to get this working iLikeMoney? I've got a similar problem - my AD account is set as administrator on a VM cluster (but not for the whole Data Center of course). Curiously I can configure vSwitches on hosts within the cluster fine (and presumably even delete them), but then when it comes to VMs I cannot allocate a VM's NIC to a network on a vSwitch - it just has the yellow "!" triangle instead of the drop-down list of available networks. (vSphere client is 4.1.0 and the hosts are running ESXi 4.1U1 build 348481)

Any ideas?

Simon

0 Kudos
iLikeMoney
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

No unfortunately I never found a solution for this.  It continues to impact my team to this day as I have refused to grant permissions to users at the datacenter level otherwise they have full view of all VMs on the host.  The change in network connection issue I can tolerate as generally we don't have to change this, however the attaching an iso issue impacts us weekly. I may be getting access to vCenter soon and I don't know if that will help but even on the free stuff this should be possible to do the right way, I think it needs to be addressed by vmware.

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

Put your ISO's on a network share and use a virtual CD app insided the OS.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/916902

http://static.slysoft.com/SetupVirtualCloneDrive.exe

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
0 Kudos
Simon_H
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

iLoveMoney: thanks for the update - seems a bit odd that it doesn't work as I would have thought it was a very common requirement. E.g. a data center has a bunch of servers, some in a production cluster, some in a test cluster. Your Production Administrator wants to let the Test environment Administrator do all the leg work on the test severs (but not give them any access to production of course).

I wonder if this is only a problem with MS AD users? Or a version compatibility issue? I tried updating my vSphere client (to 4.1 build 345043) but notice the vCenterServer is older (4.1.0 build 258902) - could the version of vCenter be the problem?

0 Kudos
iLikeMoney
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks for the workaround suggestion.  I am aware of freeware utility apps such as magicdisc, the one you're pointing me to I didn't know about.  However my position on it is that I already have a virtual cd rom drive on the VM and I should be able to allow this at the vSphere client through user specific permissions at the resource pool level without introducing additional software on clean OS test images.... The vSphere client has to have some perks like this otherwise we might just as well go back to remote desktoping end-users into the VMs and get away from the vSphere client altogether.  Maybe my usage scenario isn't so ordinary, not sure what others are doing with respect to the vSphere client. By and large RDP is ok, I just wanted to provide a bit more of a sense of control for start up shutdown, reconfiguration etc but with limitations like this I'm not sure how worth it it's been for us. I have not rolled it out to everyone yet but this is the feedback I've heard...

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

While you can't get away without having the vSphere I would much rather have direct access to the client for day to day operations. The vSphere client is far too slow by comparison to RDP but that is just me.

You can still use a share with the vSphere client. Use connect to an iso image on a local disk and point to the network share.

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
0 Kudos