toob
Contributor
Contributor

Patching, does 4.0.0U2 include security rollups?

Jump to solution

Hi, I'm working on a deployment of ~800 vsphere 4.0.0u1 servers...

Built a mean ks.cfg that does lots of funky stuff and I will someday blog/post here but at this time I'm gearing up for security testing.

My question is, patches - I go to vmware.com/patch/download, click on the first search button (ESX, 4.0.0, Release Date, All Classifications)

I see on the following patch page the top rollup is the update to 4.0.0.U2 - fine, I can download that and update the host at the end of the post install script.

Does the 4.0.0.U2 package (KB 1017720) contain the security fixes mentioned below that (KB1019491)?

Or do I need to download that and install as well?

And the next question is - do I need to apply all the other security patches on that page as well?

A quick response would be appreciated!

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Actually it does.

see http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1017720

This bulletin includes all software updates required to install VMware ESX 4.0 Update 2 on a host.

It's also mentioned in the topic VMware ESX 4.0 Complete Update 2 and the zip file name upgrade-from-esx4.0-4.0_update02.zip

André

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
toob
Contributor
Contributor

Hmm, think I have answered my own question by building 2 hosts, updating one with the U2 rollup then scanning them both with the Update plug in.

Looks like it does. Still, would be nice if there was an entry on the patch page saying 'This includes all fixes etc etc' a la microsoft.

Or perhaps it does say that and I haven't seen it...

Cheers

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Actually it does.

see http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1017720

This bulletin includes all software updates required to install VMware ESX 4.0 Update 2 on a host.

It's also mentioned in the topic VMware ESX 4.0 Complete Update 2 and the zip file name upgrade-from-esx4.0-4.0_update02.zip

André

0 Kudos
toob
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you, good to have it pointed out and confirmed.

0 Kudos