VMware Cloud Community
niklasj
Contributor
Contributor

Patching Dell ESXi Servers with Custom Dell Images

Looking for some guidance regarding patch upgrades.

I have an R710 and some much newer machines running 6.5 I'd like to patch due to the recent security vulnerability VMSA-2018-0027

1. The 710 is still running 6.0 - is there a smooth way to get this up to the latest 6.5 patch without losing data?
  2. The Dell VMware repository doesn't work.
  3. Does vCenter need to be updated, too?
  4. All of my machines are 6.5 (except the 1), I do not appear to have Update Manager.

I did a test run (6.5 -> 6.5 patch) via CLI on my homelab and the upgrade went smoothly.. However, my homelab doesn't run the custom Dell image. (I used the VMware depot)

The repos for Dell appear to be broken.  I can visit them direct and they're fine, but once I run:

esxcli software sources profile list --depot=https://vmwaredepot.dell.com/index.xml

or

esxcli software sources profile list --depot=https://vmwaredepot.dell.com/DEL/

it simply doesn't work.

A rep on Dell's forum​ says using the VMware depot is OK, but has anyone tried this?  Ideally, I'd like to not lose my networking or config, otherwise I'd flash an ISO.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion

We are a Dell shop...

- I always use the Dell Custom ISO for new installation as well when upgrading to a new major release like 6.0* -> 6.5

- We also use the Dell Depot.... but only with VUM and not directly from command line. But.... the depot only contains OMSA and these other weird module and nothing more!

So just boot from the ISO and perform the esxi upgrade. I prefer to update FW first and when you not having OMIVV here is a link to Dell FW Smart CDs (for the the R710 ISO was broken some weeks ago): https://dell.app.box.com/v/BootableR710/folder/56656464835 You can download the linux.iso without having an Box Account!

Another way is to boot into LCC and let him connect to the internet.

* If this was previous a 5.0/5.5, ESXi leaves somethimes old versions behind which are incompatble with 6.5 because they are not automaticly removed for unknow reaseons. I do a "esxcli software vib list | grep 500" first and delete the drivers than.

Regards

Joerg

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Welcome to the Community,

The 710 is still running 6.0 - is there a smooth way to get this up to the latest 6.5 patch without losing data?

Please note that the R710 model is not supported with ESXi 6.5. Instead, consider to update/patch the host to ESXi 6.0 Update 3 which contains the mentioned fixes too.

see VMware Compatibility Guide - System Search

André

0 Kudos
niklasj
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you both for the useful information!

@

I've not upgraded VMware (myself) yet in this fashion, is your networking/config retained, or completely wiped like a fresh install?

If this was previous a 5.0/5.5, ESXi leaves somethimes old versions  behind which are incompatble with 6.5 because they are not automaticly  removed for unknow reaseons.

It was, but the host was wiped with a fresh 6.0 install (networking/config was rebuilt)

@

Please note that the R710 model is not supported with ESXi 6.5. Instead,  consider to update/patch the host to ESXi 6.0 Update 3 which contains  the mentioned fixes too.

Dang!  Good to know.  Is it inoperable/buggy on 6.5, or just unsupported?

My homelab is a simple Dell Optiplex and is officially unsupported, but works flawlessy.

Just curious, as the 710 isn't really a primary/integral machine, it was recommissioned in hopes of testing the 6.5 patch before the production servers are upgraded.

0 Kudos
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion

The complete config is retained and you dont lose something. If you patch it without VUM the installer detects an existing ESXi installation and ask whats to do.

The R710 is not support on paper........ but works very well with 6.5.

Regards,

Joerg

0 Kudos