VMware Cloud Community
lof
Contributor
Contributor

Patch problems ESXi, 7.0.3, 21930508 with patch VMware-ESXi-7.0U3o-22348816-depot.zip

I have an ESXi host (Dell R630) which I can not patch. The patch process has failed TWICE (with a fresh install in between) and I'm at a loss as to how to upgrade to the latest version.

The first time, I tried patching:

running VMware ESXi, 7.0.3, 21930508

• Staged the patches in vCenter
  • Shutdown VMs and put host in maintenance mode
  • Rediated the host.
  • After 30 minutes I got an error.
  • Rebooted
  • Tried again, same error.
  • Decided I would just boot from the new ISO and do the updates from there, only to realize that there is not a newer ISO from what I already have.
  • Did research and found that I could download patches from here: https://www.vmware.com/patchmgr/findPatchByReleaseName.portal
  • Download the patches VMware-ESXi-7.0U3o-22348816-depot.zip and copied to the datastore
  • Ran this command:  esxcli software vib update -d /vmfs/volumes/Storage\ 0-1/VMware-ESXi-7.0U3o-22348816-depot.zip
  • Nothing happened.  I waited about an hour.
  • At this time, I noticed I couldn't read any of the log files using cat or tail
  • Rebooted
  • The host would not connect to vCenter. Messed with this a while and determined the host was jacked. 

Started over with a fresh install....

• Downloaded the ISO: VMware-VMvisor-Installer-7.0U3n-21930508.x86_64.iso
    the page I downloaded from by going here: vmware.com > customer connect > sign in > downloads > vSphere 7 Essentials > download the latest version 7 ISO
  • Rebooted with the ISO and installed from scratch.  Applied all my settings, added to vcenter, added back VM's from datastore.

So after all that, I was back where I started.  Here's the second attempt at patching:

Here's the filename of the patch: VMware-ESXi-7.0U3o-22348816-depot.zip
Downloaded from this page:
https://customerconnect.vmware.com/patch#search

I used the following commands to install the patch, but just like the first time, it failed.

[root@esx000:~] vim-cmd /hostsvc/hostsummary | grep inMaintenanceMode
inMaintenanceMode = false,
[root@esx000:~] vim-cmd /hostsvc/maintenance_mode_enter
[root@esx000:~] vim-cmd /hostsvc/hostsummary | grep inMaintenanceMode
inMaintenanceMode = true,

[root@esx000:~] esxcli software vib update -d /vmfs/volumes/Storage\ 0-1/VMware-ESXi-7.0U3o-22348816-depot.zip

after a bit of time (see the attached log file, this error was returned)

[InstallationError]
Error while waiting for untar process '['/bin/tar', 'xzf', '-', '-C', '/locker/packages/']': Timeout (30 seconds) expired waiting for output from command '['/bin/tar', 'xzf', '-', '-C', '/locker/packages/']', pid '2120727'.
cause = Error while waiting for untar process '['/bin/tar', 'xzf', '-', '-C', '/locker/packages/']': Timeout (30 seconds) expired waiting for output from command '['/bin/tar', 'xzf', '-', '-C', '/locker/packages/']', pid '2120727'.
vibs = ['VMware_locker_tools-light_12.2.6.22229486-22348808']
Please refer to the log file for more details.

I'm attaching the log file.

I can't understand why a simple default ESXi install using the latest ISO is failing with a simple patch?  I thought that bypassing vCenter and doing a command line upgrade would certainly work, but I guess not.

0 Kudos
9 Replies
imatacic
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

If you have payloadFileMapping.json in /scratch/locker/packages/, try to delete it.

--
Please KUDO if you find this post useful
0 Kudos
lof
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the response but this doesn't help.  On my second patching attempt, it is basically a stock ESXi install, yet fails to install the patches.  Am I the only one trying to install these patches?  Any suggestions on where to get help?   (I have VMWare upgrades, but not support.)  Thanks!

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Not sure what might be causing this. Anyway, is ESXi installed on HDD/SSD, or on an USB/SD device?

André

0 Kudos
lof
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks Andre.  I'm hoping that someone can decipher the attached error logs.  Someone out there will understand what's going wrong!  This is installed on redundant SD cards.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

I can't see any logs.

André

0 Kudos
lof
Contributor
Contributor

Oh - well that would help!!  Let's see if this attachment works for the logs.

0 Kudos
maronsppd85
Contributor
Contributor

Did you get a fix, I am having the same issue.

0 Kudos
lof
Contributor
Contributor

Nope!  No help from anyone!!!  Pretty sad considering how long ago I posted this.

0 Kudos
maronsppd85
Contributor
Contributor

Got mine fixed with VMware support.  Basically a reset of the update manager database.  A snapshot of your vCenter Server/Appliance is highly encouraged.  Also read this https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/2147284?lang=en_US

1. Snapshot vCenter
2. log in to HOST using SSH and run the shell command
3. service-control --stop vmware-updatemgr
4. python /usr/lib/vmware-updatemgr/bin/updatemgr-utility.py reset-db
5. rm -rf /storage/updatemgr/patch-store/*
6. service-control --start vmware-updatemgr

Hope this works for you.  I used the Lifecycle Manager to patch.

0 Kudos