VMware Cloud Community
sarhang
Contributor
Contributor

Patch ESXi Without Update Manager

Hi Guys,

I am looking for a tool to patch Esxi hosts without VMware Update Manager. Is there any enterprise tools to automate and deploy the patches to the Esxi hosts?

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

You can use esxcli in combination with the vMA and put the files on shared storage to automate this.

0 Kudos
sarhang
Contributor
Contributor

I am looking for an enterpise tools to automate the process without using the esxcli command, something like shavlik to automate the process, thanks.

0 Kudos
King_Robert
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

you can download the updated Patch from VMware portal and mount as ISO image in the ESX Host.

after rebooting the host select the upgrade option to apply the updated patch.

0 Kudos
Madmax01
Expert
Expert

Hello,

i don't think that theire is an really Supported Enterprise Solution out theire. Because Primary Vmware would have to support that 3rd Way Smiley Wink.

So if i would have only Esxi standalone servers and no vCenter with Update Manager > then i would Script a Way with Powercli to place MW Mode, Uploading the Patch Package, Applying patch and to reboot Server,......

Currently i'am not quit sure if  the VMware UMDS is binded to vCenter or to a License. (never tested it ) > maybe standalone Esxi are working.

PS: as i remember from the Past  vmware integrated Shavlik for Patching OS Patches,..... but was longer ago.

Powercli code are available to generate generate Depot and to download latest Package Smiley Wink  

IMpression: http://www.v-front.de/2013/09/how-to-update-your-standalone-host-to.html

Best regards

Max

0 Kudos
sarhang
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks guys.

So there answer is "NO". what about the endpoint protection product such as

http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/tivihelp/v26r1/topic/com.ibm.tem.doc_9.0/IEM_V9.0_Patch_QSG.pdf

0 Kudos
Madmax01
Expert
Expert

If i'am right the IBM Patch Manager is only able to audit the Patch Contents,.... but for remediating them > you need Update manager.

0 Kudos