ESXi

View Only
  • 1.  Past few days all guests have slowed to a crawl.

Posted Jul 09, 2013 04:23 PM

For some reason, in the past few days, all the guests on my esx box have slowed to a crawl. According to the resources though, I have plenty left.

I have about 25 machines but I have 48GB of ram. THe machines are mostly XP machines. Nothing has been changed recently. Attached are snapshots of the resources.

I have restarted the server a few times, but it doesnt help.

Thank You

• 2.  RE: Past few days all guests have slowed to a crawl.

Posted Jul 09, 2013 04:31 PM

Do you use local storage? Did you already take a look at the disks/RAID controller to see whether e.g. write-cache is disabled (bad battery)?

Btw. the second VM from the top seems to run with active snapshots!?

André

• 3.  RE: Past few days all guests have slowed to a crawl.

Posted Jul 09, 2013 04:35 PM

Storage is one pair of 250GB hard drives in RAID 1 and one 1TB drive directly to the SATA.

Most of the machines are on the 1TB but everyone is running slow.

ESX itself is installed on the RAID one.

Can you elaborate about the snapshots?

• 4.  RE: Past few days all guests have slowed to a crawl.

Posted Jul 09, 2013 04:51 PM

I'd start checking on the Performance tabs for the hoist and the guests to see whether you see something unusual.

Regarding the snapshot. With the the provisioned disk space being more than twice the size of the VM, it looks like the VM has active snapshots. You may want to check this in the Snapshot Manager and - if you don't see anything there - check whether the VM's active virtual disk file name (see VM's settings) looks like "vmname-00000x.vmdk".

André

• 5.  RE: Past few days all guests have slowed to a crawl.

Posted Jul 09, 2013 05:03 PM

WIth something unusual, what should I be looking for?

I checked, no snapshot and the file name is a simple one.

Thanks

• 6.  RE: Past few days all guests have slowed to a crawl.

Posted Jul 09, 2013 05:37 PM

Since CPU and Memory do not seem to cause the issue (according to the screen shot you provided) I'd start looking at high disk activity, ... Also make sure the VM's are not connected to the host's CD/DVD drive unless this is required.

André