VMware Cloud Community
ricky73
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Paravirtual os LSI Logiac SAS controller for SQL server ?

In ESXi 6.0.0 U3 environment,  OS guest is Win 2016 Datacenter Edition where runs SQL server 2014, what do you think about disk controller?

I set default LSI Logic SAS for SQL datafile disk but some told me It's necessary VMware Paravirtual controller where VM makes much I/O operations.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
bhards4
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Hi,

I suggest you to use VMware Paravirtual SCSI Controllers for the SQL db disks or any critical vms where you require high performace stroage I/O's

VMware Paravirtual SCSI controllers are high performance storage controllers that can result in greater throughput and lower CPU use. These controllers are best suited for high performance storage environments.

Regards,

Sachin Bhardwaj

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Was it helpful? Let us know by completing this short survey here.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
VysakhNair
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

ricky73

VMware recommends to use the VMware Paravirtualized SCSI (PVSCSI) Controller as the virtual SCSI Controller for data and log VMDKs.

"The PVSCSI Controller is the optimal SCSI controller for an I/O-intensive application on vSphere allowing not only a higher I/O rate but also lowering CPU consumption compared with the LSI Logic SAS. In addition, the PVSCSI adapters provide higher queue depth, increasing I/O bandwidth for the virtualized workload"

https://www.vmware.com/content/dam/digitalmarketing/vmware/en/pdf/solutions/sql-server-on-vmware-bes...

Please consider marking this answer "correct" or "helpful" if you think your question have been answered correctly. Vysakh Nair Blog - https://www.vxpert.in
0 Kudos
ricky73
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

I read it on Vmware best practices for SQL server but can I use LSI Logic SAS for both OS and built-in Microsoft SQL databases?

I'll create the paravirtual controller for 2nd disk which will contain my new database.

What do you suggest?

0 Kudos
bhards4
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Hi,

I suggest you to use VMware Paravirtual SCSI Controllers for the SQL db disks or any critical vms where you require high performace stroage I/O's

VMware Paravirtual SCSI controllers are high performance storage controllers that can result in greater throughput and lower CPU use. These controllers are best suited for high performance storage environments.

Regards,

Sachin Bhardwaj

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Was it helpful? Let us know by completing this short survey here.

0 Kudos