VMware Cloud Community
shaka
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

PXE Booting issues ESXi 5.5.0

Trying to get ESXi 5.5 to PXE boot and running into issues.  Receiving the message "Initial menu has no label entries" when I include the following in pxelinux.cfg file.

default esx-5.5/menu.c32

menu title ESXi 5.5.0 Installer

Label install

menu label ESXi 5.5.0

kernel esx-5.5/mboot.c32

append -c esx-5.5/boot.cfg

Tags (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
shaka
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I was able to resolve my issue.  It turns out the pxelinux.0 file that we have on our kickstart server is old and what not compatible with mboot.c32 and menu.c32.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
crawfordm
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Are you trying to use PXE boot for Autodeploy or you trying some type of custom install via PXE boot?

------------------------------------------------------------------ If you found this answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or Correct buttons to award points. Thanks, Marc Crawford CCNA, MCSE, MCTS, A+, Net+, Sec +, VCA-WM, VCA-DCV, VCA-Cloud, VCA-NV, VCP-NV, VCP-DCV, VCP, VCAP5-DCA http://gplus.to/marccrawford http://blog.marccrawford.com @uber_tech_geek
0 Kudos
zXi_Gamer
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Can you do a cat on esx-5.5/menu.c32 and esx-5.5/mboot.c32 and post the output

shaka
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I am not using Auto Deploy.  I am using an internal Kickstart server to do the build.

0 Kudos
shaka
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

When I try to cat the files in putty it just throws garbage back to me but I am guessing you are looking to see what version of syslinux I am using.  I downloaded version 3.86 of syslinux and took the mboot.c32 and mboot.c32 from the com32 folder.

When I modify the pxelinux.cfg/default file to:

default install

label install

kernel esx-5.5/mboot.c32

append -c esx-5.5/boot.cfg

I get the error:

Loading -c....failed!

No files found!

The boot.cfg file has all the right permissions and so do the rest of the files.  I tried the prefix command in the boot.cfg but thought maybe that was not working and put the full path to each file in the boot.cfg.  No luck still.

0 Kudos
shaka
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I was able to resolve my issue.  It turns out the pxelinux.0 file that we have on our kickstart server is old and what not compatible with mboot.c32 and menu.c32.

0 Kudos
mikedalton
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

How did you manage to upgrade pxelinux.0 then?

0 Kudos
shaka
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I copied it from a newer version of selinux.