VMware Cloud Community
EvanR27
Contributor
Contributor

PSOD after IPMI Serial DL160 G6

I've encountered a PSOD after attempting to configure console redirection and IPMI serial over LAN on a Dl160 G6

The only thing that I changed in ESXI were settings related to this document:

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=103066...

Primarily Misc.SerialBaudRate & VMKernel.boot.logPort to COM2. The rest of the configuration was done through the BIOS and using IPMITOOL

Full dump below - do note that the output of this dump appeared primarily through the ipmi SOL connection, and not on the VGA connection.

http://pastebin.com/raw.php?i=eYx56s7Y

Thoughts?

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
zXi_Gamer
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

What I can observe from the dump is that:

"2014-05-21T22:55:33.018Z cpu0:33262)Config: 346: "LogToSerial" = 1, Old Value: 0, (Status: 0x0)

2014-05-21T22:55:33.027Z cpu0:33262)Config: 446: "LogPort" = "COM1", Old value: "none" (Status: 0x0)"

So COM1 port is set successfully.

Its when getting the information of boot.logPort and setting the boot.logPort to COM2 we hit the Page Fault. most likely called by  VSI_SetInfo, which tries to set the COM2.

Possible theory is that it is unable to access COM2 [IPMI SOL] or refers to COM2 which is already in use and unable to set by vsi-setinfo causing the PF.

Either way, you need to raise a support request to bring this up to be fixed if needed. :smileylaugh:

0 Kudos
Rubeck
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Either way, you need to raise a support request to bring this up to be fixed if needed. :smileylaugh:

This would require running a supported configuration... ESXi 5.5 U1 on DL160 G6 just doesn't seem to match up according to the VMware HCL.

/Rubeck

0 Kudos
zXi_Gamer
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

This would require running a supported configuration... ESXi 5.5 U1 on DL160 G6 just doesn't seem to match up according to the VMware HCL.

That is a good point. Lemme check if I can put up IPMI SOL in a supported server I have..

0 Kudos