VMware Cloud Community
TopHatProductio
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

PSOD During VM Power-Up

Last night, I was testing an AMD FirePro S9300 x2 as a replacement for an nVIDIA Titan Z, when I received a PSOD. My hypervisor host is a ProLiant DL580 G7 running ESXi 6.5u3. I have 6 stable VMs that have been running for 15-20 hours per day, for at least the past year. The FirePro (similar to a Radeon Pro Duo) has a few important features:

• passive air cooler
  • 2x PCIe 8-pin power cables required
  • has 1x Mini-DisplayPort, disabled by default

The card is optimised for use in servers, and has dual-GPUs on it. In the past, I used the Titan Z to power 2 VMs simultaneously, and did so without issue. I've been doing this for space-saving reasons, in addition to other factors.

Last night, I had one GPU passed through to a Unix-based VM and the other to a BlissOS (Linux-based) VM. The Unix-based VM is one of the 6 stable VMs I mentioned before - no crashes or other major incidents. The BlissOS VM is a relatively new, and hadn't been powered on since passing a GPU through to it that day. The PSOD showed up when I tried powering on BlissOS:

Near the very top, it seems to mention a Windows 10 Enterprise VM. The only Windows 10 VM I have is another one of my 6 stable VMs. It wasn't given one of the FirePro's GPUs. In fact, it has its own dedicated GPU. I need assistance figuring out where I tripped up.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
TopHatProductio
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I did another test. This time, I powered off all other VMs, aside from Windows Server 2019. The Windows Server VM has no PCI passthrough devices. BlissOS was the only VM using the FirePro card (Unix-based VM was shutdown for this test). Still got a PSOD:

I'll have to compare the two PSOD's in the morning, for common factors...

0 Kudos
TopHatProductio
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Last note for the evening.

BlissOS currently has a broken fallback mode (disable video drivers, use BIOS modes until X is loaded), requires a GPU currently (as a result of the former), and can't reliably use the FirePro S9300 x2 (PSOD). The only options I see are:

• buy a card specifically for BlissOS (see if it's just the FirePro - assuming I have enough PCIe slots)
  • test an older (Bliss OS 11.x or Android 12L based) build
  • wait for BlissOS 14.10 release comes out

Not a great set of options if thr deadline for this side project is 2023...

Source(s):

0 Kudos
TopHatProductio
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

To add insult to injury, falling back to Androidx86 won't work either. That project seems to have an issue that is the inverse:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Androidx86/comments/nogsxr/comment/gzzzk70/?utm_source=reddit&utm_medium=we...

The current builds have broken GPU rendering, and can only do software rendering. Possibly impacts any project forks it has as well.

Android on x86 hypervisor is off the table for me, for a long time.

0 Kudos