VMware Cloud Community
mutsie
Contributor
Contributor

PRO/1000GT switching on and off

Hi there,

Last week I replaced an IBM for a HP ML115 and installed a Intel PRO/1000GT, after installing ESX4i everthing works like a charm!

But after moving and connecting a VM image to the NIC it starts polling on and off every 3 seconds, no network activity and useless....

However, when disconntecting the VM image and leaving the card with no VM image connections it seems to be fine?

last night i've updated the driver as described in this article: VMware ESX/ESXi 4.0 Driver CD for Intel 82575 and 82576 Gigabit Ethernet Adapter

Still no go, I've search the forum but can't find a simular problem.

Does somebody ran into the same problems and already find a solution?

Ronald

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

Do you see any errors in /var/log/messages? Also how are the duplex / speed settings for the NIC and switch?

Dave

VMware Communities User Moderator

New book in town - vSphere Quick Start Guide -http://www.yellow-bricks.com/2009/08/12/new-book-in-town-vsphere-quick-start-guide/.

Do you have a system or PCI card working with VMDirectPath? Submit your specs to the Unofficial VMDirectPath HCL - http://www.vm-help.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=21.

0 Kudos
Scissor
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I ran into something similar a while ago. Turned out to be a bad network cable.

0 Kudos
mutsie
Contributor
Contributor

I have checked the log files and copied a repeating part below.

What I did till now:

Tested the connection from 1000Mb FD down to 10Mb HD on a HP 8 ports switch.

Tested with an other brand 100Mb switch.

Get a 3Com prof. switch and tested the 1Gb straight to a 1Gb port.

Tested all again with 2 different UTP cables.

please check the attachement for a clean log file

Thanks for the replies.

Ronald

Message was edited by: mutsie

0 Kudos
mutsie
Contributor
Contributor

An update, the Intel PRO/100GT uses the 82541PI chipset, i've seen related messages that this chipset is causing problems with ESX4, does anyone already have a solution???

Ronald

0 Kudos