VMware Cloud Community
fmorenol
Contributor
Contributor

PF Exception (14) in world 4351:vmware-vmx

Hi,

We have recently installed an ESX4 (releasebuild-164009 x86_64) cluster with two identical machines.

In one of them we are experiencing once a day at any time purple screen with the message of the subject and picture attached.

I guess it could be a page fault but we are not able to solve this issue.

Does anybody troubleshoot this problem or know how to solve this problem.

Thanks in advanced.

Fernando.

0 Kudos
27 Replies
aleksey
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

hi there,

Can you please provide more information about the hardware you are using (server model if this is a box on our HCL / or devices inlcuded in the server specifically the raid controller) and what you you are running on the servers when you see this issue.

Can you also run vm-support and file an SR with us.

thanks.

-aleksey

0 Kudos
fmorenol
Contributor
Contributor

Hi aleksey,

Both servers are Intel S5000PAL/SR2500 with 2 Quad Core Intel Xeon 5400 (previously checked on HCL). They have each 2 LP1000 emulex HBAs, 2 ethernets cards and 2 73GB SAS hard disks. They are connected directly to an EMC AX4-5F.

I run vm-support but my file is 14 MB size. How can I send to you?

0 Kudos
aleksey
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Can you open a Support Request with us instead? We may need to do some debugging beyond what I would be able to do.

thanks.

0 Kudos
fmorenol
Contributor
Contributor

By the way, we are not running anything on phisical nor virtual serves (two windows server 2008 ent 64b). Some times it appears early in the morning when we arrive at offcie and sometimes it happens in the afternoon.

We are just on pre-production time but we are afraid this happens everyday on that server event on production after installing the ERP application over SQL and some domain controllers.

0 Kudos
fmorenol
Contributor
Contributor

I cant at this time:

The VMware Support portal encountered an error while processing your request. We're sorry for the inconvenience. If you choose to report this error, please provide the following error information:

Error code: QJ18

Error date: Tue May 26 16:05:36 PDT 2009

Err 4 user: email

Exception:

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

i have the same problem at the moment. Can you please post the solutions or the definition what causes this error?

Thank you!

0 Kudos
Gintonic
Contributor
Contributor

Hi!

And i have the same problem on ESX4 but in world 4096... All last updates installed.

Platform Intel SR2500 (S5000PAL) with 2xXeon 5440, 12Gb RAM and RAID Intel SRCSASLS4I

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

solution: After a few tests, i change the latency settings of my RAM to fixed settings, now it runs all stable. Autodetection has detected the wrong latency settings in dual-channel mode. Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
davidamarkley
Contributor
Contributor

What were the resulting latency settings? I'm dealing with very similar hardware, and am having the same issues.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

hi,

in my case i had a fixed latency of CL5 5-5-15 (G.Skill RAM)... in most cases you will found this if you search for your RAM modules in google.

best regards

Christian

0 Kudos
sysopWML
Contributor
Contributor

mightycjo,

I have the same servers and the same isseu.

I updated the SR2500 system BIOS but i'm unable to set any memory timings.

Where did you set these memory timings ?

My regards,

Patrick Paijmans

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

it´s a little bit tricky, cause they hide this in the "Advanced" menu in the BIOS. When pressing "F4" in the BIOS menu several points become visible... Smiley Happy

best regards

Christian

0 Kudos
sysopWML
Contributor
Contributor

Chris,

I tried your solution remote trough intels RMM console but no luck.

Tried several times to hit F4 in different screens of the BIOS but no extra menu items..

Did i do something wrong, or maybe it doesn't work trough remote managment.

Patrick

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

hi,

think there is no problem with RMM. Can you please give me the name and revision of your mainboard and i will compare with mine.

best regards

Christian

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

hi,

sorry, it also could be Strg + F4.... haven´t checked it at the moment cause my ESX is "in production".

best regards

Christian

0 Kudos
Gintonic
Contributor
Contributor

Hi

I have the same platform and I had the same problem..

The problem has been solved by RMM module removal.

0 Kudos
sysopWML
Contributor
Contributor

Christian,

Where did you learn of this CTRL+ F4 info?

Maybe i can look it up somewhere on the net

CRTL + F4 did not work for me. Nor did ALT + F4.

Patrick

0 Kudos
sysopWML
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

Removing the RMM module is not realy an option as i need it for remote support.

But you may have a point. I have 3 ESX servers. 2 with the new RMM2 modules and 1 with an RMM1 module.

The one with the RMM1 module is running ESX 4.x perfectly without any PSOD.

I wil try to remove the RMM2 module from one ESX server next time im on the site.

Did you try the latest bios prior to removing the RMM2 module ?

Grtz,

Patrick Paijmans

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

i have only searched for hidden BIOS options via google. In most cases it is Ctrl+F1... Please try this.

Best regards

Christian

0 Kudos