VMware Cloud Community
Ronil333
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

PCI- serial express card driver code

Hello all,

-  I've seen that code available for ethernet card. sky2 driver code is available .

-  I need sample driver code for PCI - Serial express card.

Please provide sample code if possible.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
cykVM
Expert
Expert

Maybe this is a good read for you: VMware Front Experience: How to build device drivers for ESXi 5.x

If a Linux open source driver exists for your device you can go from there.

Otherwise you might register as a developer here: Home - VMware Developer Center

0 Kudos
craigyang
Contributor
Contributor

is there anywhere people talk about how to develop a device driver in ESXi? or any discussion group specific for developers ....

0 Kudos
cykVM
Expert
Expert

If you read above Link it will point you to the vm-help forums: vm-help.com - Index page

That might be a better place for discussion about developing device drivers.

0 Kudos
Ronil333
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yes cykVM...I've gone through these links.Its really good links for new driver development.

- I've linux source code and i've taken driver example from that.But uart related function shows unresolved symbol error.

- For that i've seen following link.But still not get solution.As not availability of uart related function in VMKernel.Is it true?

vm-help.com - View forum - Developing Drivers and Software for ESXi

- Because i think there is no availability of uart or tty related operation available in VMKernel.I got "unresolved symbol" error when i'm using uart_register_driver function.

- So i thought if there is a sample driver code available for PCI- serial driver available then it is good for reference.Or any solution available for this problem?

0 Kudos
cykVM
Expert
Expert

I can't really help you with that, I'm no developer and especially no VMWare (something) developer. Smiley Wink

The links above were just found by looking around a bit. From my understanding your driver would need an extension in vmkernel, which would mean that you build your own VMWare version.

I guess that you have to be at least a VMWare partner (e.g. 'TAP' - Technology Alliance Partner) to get access to further resources for development.

That's why you do not get any answers/code samples here or in other discussion groups.

vm-help forums is a good resource for driver development of unsupported NIC or storage controller hardware, but not for generally kernel-side unsupported devices (like tty/COM port).

nicolexx
Contributor
Contributor

I have a same question.

Do you solve it?

Thank you

0 Kudos
Ronil333
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

Still not solved.

I've taken reference of Linux driver.

Found that tty layer support is not given in vmkernel.That's main problem.

0 Kudos