VMware Cloud Community
MSUKvm
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

P2V wont boot

All,

I have used Converter to hot clone a WindowsXP physical to virtual. The conversion process said it was 100% successful but when I try and power on the VM I just get a blank screen with a cursor flashing. I then removed the VM created a new VM using the existing convertered disk but still get the same i.e. blank screen with flashing cursor. As a test I removed the convertered disk and the VM powers on and shows that it is trying to BOOT from DHCP, if I put the convertered .VMDK disk back in I still get the blank screen with cursor so I am guessing it does not like the disk for some reason - can anyone help me out?

Thanks

Msuk

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
KEPete
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

When you did the conversion, did you change the drive controller to Bus Logic instead of keep existing controller option? The reason I ask is that I had a conversion problem with a IDE based server that would not boot when it kept the controller as IDE. (Once you convert, it also does not allow you to change the vmdk to scsi from ide.) I reconverted choosing to change the controller to Bus Logic and it worked fine. See if that is the case for you.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
KEPete
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

When you did the conversion, did you change the drive controller to Bus Logic instead of keep existing controller option? The reason I ask is that I had a conversion problem with a IDE based server that would not boot when it kept the controller as IDE. (Once you convert, it also does not allow you to change the vmdk to scsi from ide.) I reconverted choosing to change the controller to Bus Logic and it worked fine. See if that is the case for you.

0 Kudos
anujmodi1
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Which version of converter are you using for migrating the XP VM?

Blank screen with cursor is unable to boot the disk, if you have changed the defualt boot controller on XP machine while conversion, you see this issue.

AM,

If you found my answer to be useful, feel free to mark it as Helpful or Correct.

The latest blogs and articles on Virtulization:

http://communities.vmware.com/blogs/amodi

Anuj Modi, If you found my answer to be useful, feel free to mark it as Helpful or Correct. The latest blogs and articles on Virtulization: anujmodi.wordpress.com
KEPete
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Really? I've never had any luck using the converter to migrate IDE based systems to VMWare without it causing problems. Although, I have to admit, I have yet to try an XP conversion. This was converting to ESXi 3.5 as well as ESXi 4.

0 Kudos
MSUKvm
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hello,
Switching to SCSI Busloigic in Converter 4 worked, my P2V WinXP boots now :8}
Thanks for your help!
0 Kudos
KEPete
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Not a problem. Please mark the question as answered and award points if you want to. Marking as answered will help others as they go through the various posts.

0 Kudos