VMware Cloud Community
BobSimon
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

P2V then install ESXi on old svr

My boss wants to virtualize our Windows 2008 server then use that computer as our ESXi host.  Is it possible to convert the server to a VM storing the resulting files, then install ESXi on the former server and import the .vmdk and other files into the datastore?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

The easiest way to do that would be P2V to either VMware Workstation/VMware Player using VMware Converter - install ESXi and then V2V to the new ESXi host

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

The easiest way to do that would be P2V to either VMware Workstation/VMware Player using VMware Converter - install ESXi and then V2V to the new ESXi host

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
BobSimon
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Before converting, I'll make a backup image so if anything goes wrong, we can restore and try again.

What are some of the most likely potential problems so I can be prepared if they occur?

Will the vmdk file be about the same size as the used space of the server's %systemdrive% (C:)?

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Before converting, I'll make a backup image so if anything goes wrong, we can restore and try again.

A : yes it is advisable to take a back-up.

What are some of the most likely potential problems so I can be prepared if they occur?

A : Nothing P2V does not change the original files.Its copies them

Will the vmdk file be about the same size as the used space of the server's %systemdrive% (C:)?

A : Yes the C: drive would remain the same size , but you do have an option on the P2V to change to a different value on the destination end.

Links of the KB article’s below which would help you to increase the performance of the converter and speed up the process.

http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1004588

http://kb.vmware.com/kb/2020517

Thanks,
Avinash

Michelle50
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi

Welcome to the communities.

you can do it easily using P2V of vmware product ,

Please let us know if need any more infor or facing any challenges.

If I have lost confidence in myself, I have the universe against me.
0 Kudos