We need to P2V some Servers

the big applications are:

Lotus Domino

Sql Server 2000

Sql Server 2005

IIS Server

Citrix Server

IBM Director which uses DB2

what are you recommendations? Can I P2V these servers while they are up and running these applications? or I should stop SQL - lotus - ISS - Citrix?

second question

there are 2 servers that have pretty big used Disk space about 900GB...so Is it OK to create those BIG vmdk disks....well there is no other option I think?

any other recomendation

thanks a lot

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
vickey0rana
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

for your first query.. I suggest you to stop the services and do p2v... so that sql or database transaction remain unchanged during this conversion and you will get the same data on virtual server..

for you second query... I would like to know if 900 GB disk contains you system partition as well ??

example: 1 disk of 900 GB contains C: drive( system root) of few GB and other partition (say d: drive,of remaining amount).. if so then I would not suggest you to make big vmdk's file on virtual environment...

on system drive, by default snapshot feature is activated.

so, if you have such a huge system drive this will cause slow performance\long dealy\ large disk space requirement during snapshot creation\deletion. Obviously , snap shot is one of the good feature and you want it avtivated for your server.

but , if you have 900 GB disk as drive other then c: drive then you can go ahead...

thanks!

~Rana

---------------------------------------------------------------- If you found this or any other answer helpful, please consider to award points. (use Correct or Helpful buttons) BR, Ravinder S Rana
0 Kudos
escapem2
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

ok I will be stopping the services...I suppose If I power off the VM evrything will be even faster....

well about the Disk...

for instance C: for all servers is a RAID 1, and I have 3 servers which have 1 RAID 5 details:

D:\Size=840 Gb, Used=823 Gb - Raid 5

D:\Size=2.8 Tb, Used=803 Gb - Raid 5

D:\Size=410 Gb, Used=248 Gb - Raid 5

What do you recommend me? RAID 1 for Operating System I mean C: and RAID 5 for DATA?

thanks

0 Kudos
vickey0rana
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

OK.. Powering OFF the VMs is also a good option..( sorry I didn't recall that, as I work remotely )..

For drive related query...

you are good to go..once you P2V your server.. .. Only you get the C: drive ( of current size on physical server) and 😧 drive( D:\Size=840 Gb, Used=823 Gb - Raid 5)..

few check points,I will suggest:

>Make sure your datastore have enough space that can accomodate your C:( opearating sys drive) and 😧 (data drive).

make sure after conversion , your 😧 drive is listed "independent" , to avoid them of being part of snapshots.

do the physical component clean up after conversion ( like remove RAID controller components, logical disks etc. from device manager)..

Thanks!

~ Rana

---------------------------------------------------------------- If you found this or any other answer helpful, please consider to award points. (use Correct or Helpful buttons) BR, Ravinder S Rana
0 Kudos
kac2
Expert
Expert

Depending on the size of your VMDK you will want to rethink your block sizes for your VMFS datastore. You will want a 4 or 8 mb block size

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=100356...

0 Kudos