VMware Cloud Community
monkeybagel
Contributor
Contributor

P2V Windows Server 2003 results in DEP closing services

I just attempted a cold clone of a Windows Server 2003 R1 Server, running Attendance Enterprise and SQL 2000.  The original server was a whitebox server with an Intel desktop board with a Pentium 4 processor, 2GB of RAM, and an Adaptec SATA RAID card running RAID 10.  The P2V to ESXi 5.0 on a PowerEdge R710 seemed to be successful, however upon powering up the VM, we have an application that is closed by DEP at every boot.  I have read where this is happening to some Citrix installations, however this particular appication is Attendance Enterprise.  I attempted to hide the NX option, added/noexecute:alwaysoff, and so far nothing has worked.  I fully patched the VM, and also tried to exempt the service from DEP, but even with DEP disabled in the boot.ini file, it stll comes in and closes the service.  I checked for malware and was unable to locate any, and of course this did not happen on the physical server.  I have run out of ideas.  Any suggestions?

Thank you.

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
akamali
Contributor
Contributor

Since the P2V was successful - that is a good sign

I'm sure you have installed VMware tools and I'm assuming that you have
not changed any drive letters.
Try to check if that machine has any ties to other programs that you may
have removed after the P2V. If there is no much things changed I suggest
trying to repair/ re-install that application.
0 Kudos
monkeybagel
Contributor
Contributor

I have not changed any drive letters and they appear at to be showing up properly.  Tools are installed.  Perhaps I will try again but this time not resize the data partition to allow the P2V to do a block-level copy.  Last time I did resize the data partition up by 10GB.

0 Kudos
akamali
Contributor
Contributor

If that didn't work, try using third-party programs such as symantec BESR (get it on 30 days trail) , I think the older version of the converter support it's extention natively. Take an image with it , export then  import it back and see if that works. Good luck!

0 Kudos