VMware Cloud Community
rrcastillo
Contributor
Contributor

P2V (Physical-2-Virtual) on Windows 2003 server - I did get the vmx+vmdk files

Hello There,

I am needing some help on using P2V (Physical-2-Virtial) on Windows 2003 server.  I have completed the copy and I got a "vmx file" + "vmdk file" out of it.  Now I want to add it to my ESXi ver 7.0 and run the vm.

Is there a clean procedure to do this?  I have been looking all over for it.  Or do I need to get another vmware-tool in order to covert these items into an OVA/OVF ?

Thank you,

Rudy

0 Kudos
3 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

@rrcastillo 

What tool did you use to do the P2V? If it was VMware Converter Standalone there is an option to have it create the VM (the files) directly onto a vSphere infrastructure (ESXi with or without vCenter Server).

In your current situation though, you need to upload the files to an ESXi datastore and register the VM to the ESXi host.

The files can be uploaded using the datastore browser in the vSphere client, create a new folder in the datastore and upload the files. You would then right click the VMX file and register the VM to the ESXi host.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
msripada
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

what is the size of the vmdk file . what version of P2V converter was used as the latest 6.2 is not compatible with Windows 2003.

You might have to use older version but that may not be compatible with latest ESXi versions to perform p2v.

thanks,

MS

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

There are many different ways to p2v a Windows 2003 physical host.
Most important question right now: do we talk about 2003-32bit or 2003-64bit ?
I assume you are aware that the Windows-system needs to be patched to boot from virtual disks.
Have you already patched the registry ? - if yes - how exactly ?
What type of vmdk do you have ? - when the disk-imaging was done withh dd - then the dd-file can be used as an ESXi 7 compatible vmdk.
Please explain how the vmdk was created ?
Do not forget Windows-activation : what type of license was used on the original system ?

Ulli

0 Kudos