VMware Cloud Community
CCRI
Contributor
Contributor

P2V Issues Win2003R2 SP2 w/PowerPath

I have been trying to convert a Physical Server that is currently attached to our Clariion CX4-240 with Qlogic HBA's.  It has Power Path 5.3 SP1 installed.

I use the stand alone converter on the Windows machine to convert.  Nothing special is done on conversion except to resize some of the drives and exclude the utility partition.

The machine has Dell OEM license for Windows 2003 R2 Sp2

After the machine converts, I do a repair to relicense the machine

I remove the PowerPath software and reboot

I get bsod - Power off the machine

Change the scsi to use Bus Logic instead of LSI

The machine boots back up

I now install VMWare tools and reboot

BSOD  - Power off guest

Change scsi back to LSI - still cannot boot bsod

I boot to recovery console and do fixmbr and fixboot - still no luck

I am wondering if anyone has had a similiar issue and have been successful with converting this situation to a VM ?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
CRad14
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I would try one or both of these..

I would first try to do an import again, and change nothing. Don't change the drive size, or exclude anything. If this fails, you know it isn't the changes you were trying to make, and if it is successful you should be able to start to narrow down what exactly is causing it to fail.

Second, I would check the converter logs for anything that looks fishy..

Hope this helps!!

Conrad www.vnoob.com | @vNoob | If I or anyone else is helpful to you make sure you mark their posts as such! 🙂
0 Kudos
CCRI
Contributor
Contributor

There are some errors in the converter logs.  For example, here is an excerpt;

[#44] [2011-04-04 09:24:07.747 02832 error 'App'] [liveImportSource,2176] [GetVolumeInfo] Windisk_GetVolumeCapacity failed for \\?\Volume{e1ef3524-04a5-11dc-b735-0019b9b935bf}\ with error code 21

[#44] [2011-04-04 09:24:07.747 02832 warning 'App'] [liveImportSource,2577] [GetVolumesForComputer] GetVolumeInfo failed for \\?\Volume{e1ef3524-04a5-11dc-b735-0019b9b935bf}\ with : converter.agent.internal.fault.PlatformError. Skipping volume ....

[#44] [2011-04-04 09:24:07.747 02832 verbose 'App'] [liveImportSource,2711] Mapping an unrecognized internal format volume of type 222 having partition number 1 on disk 0 at sector 63 with ID Disk#0_Partition#1

Im not sure what this means.  The machine does convert.  All disks are alive and well after the conversion.  When I remove PowerPath, the problem occurs.

I had seen a previous post regarding something very similar.  They were converting a machine and then using the physical disk ad RDM.  In that case, they were suggested not to convert the utility partition.  So, I choose to skip it.  I will try keeping it to see what happens.

Thanks for the response

0 Kudos
CCRI
Contributor
Contributor

The fix;

C:\>PP executable.exe /s /v"/q /L*v C:\PPremove.log NO_REBOOT=1 PPREMOVE=ALL"

C:\>PP executable.exe /s /v"/q /L*v C:\PPremove.log NO_REBOOT=1 PPREMOVE=CLEAN"

Where 'PP executable.exe' is the installer.  I did this and the machine boots without issues and PP is gone.

Thanks

Anthony

0 Kudos
idle-jam
Immortal
Immortal

thanks sharing the tips. 😃

0 Kudos