VMware Cloud Community
MuranskyCoTech
Contributor
Contributor

P2V Conversion Problem - All Devices Listed as Unknown Device

I took an HP ProLiant DL380 G5 system and ran the 4.0.1 converter tool directly from my Windows Server 2008 R2 system to my ESXi 4.1 host. When I booted the VM, it appeared to be successful, but upon login it stopped on a blank screen. Accessing Task Manager allowed me to see that some things were running, but there was no CPU activity.

I checked Event Viewer to discover several services were hung or failed to start. I checked Device Manager and discovered nearly all devices are listed as "Unknown Device" and many are flagged with a "Code 1" cannot start device message.

Is there any way to finish/recover/repair this VM conversion? I already attempted to re-run the conversion and it resulted in the same issue.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
MuranskyCoTech
Contributor
Contributor

OK, fixed my own issue... found out that one of the services running on the box was mad about not having network connectivity yet and was hanging up the boot process. Once I killed the process, everything finished successfully.

In case anyone is interested, Exchange is installed on this box, and mad.exe was the processing causing the hang.

0 Kudos