VMware Cloud Community
bwuser2014
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Outlook slow after migrating to Exchange 2013

Exchange 2013 SP CU5 (OS is win2012 R2) on vSphere 5.5 U2, it has slow respond with Outlook, VM is used VMNET3 network adapter. Does it related to VM tools version (vSphere 5.1 and 5.5) ?

VMware vExpert 2014 to 2023 and Influencer 100
0 Kudos
4 Replies
brunofernandez1

what do you mean with slow response? does the outlook client needs a lot of time to connect to the CAH?

is it only one exchange server with all roles on it?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------- If you found this or any other answer helpful, please consider to award points. (use Correct or Helpful buttons) Regards from Switzerland, B. Fernandez http://vpxa.info/
0 Kudos
bwuser2014
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

No, each role is in different server.

VMware vExpert 2014 to 2023 and Influencer 100
0 Kudos
brunofernandez1

we have also an Exchange 2013 Organzisation running on vSphere 5.5 U2 and we have no performance impacts.

I would check two things: storage I/O and network first!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------- If you found this or any other answer helpful, please consider to award points. (use Correct or Helpful buttons) Regards from Switzerland, B. Fernandez http://vpxa.info/
0 Kudos
welder314
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

We have Exchange 2013 on 5.1 U3 and are experiencing slow Outlook performance.

It seems like the VMware Tools version is a big issue, although I'm not sure if it is the cause.  If I use 5.1 U1 tools on the exchange servers, everything works fine.  If I update to 5.1 U2 or later, performance degrades to the point of Outlook being unusable.

I have tested Exchange 2013 on a 5.1 U1 system, it works normal. I vmotion Exchange VMs to a host running 5.1 U3 (without updating tools), everything works normal.  As soon as I upgrade tools, I have the problem.

Is your Exchange organization only 2013?  I'm curious because we have both 2010 and 2013 as we are transitioning.

0 Kudos