VMware Cloud Community
bigredergib
Contributor
Contributor

Out of disk space

I have two VM's in ESXi that are on the same disk. I was pretty sure I calculated their thin volume's correctly but now I'm getting a message that there isn't enough space on that datastore for their volume's.

Just curious why this happened? I'm sure I calculated it correctly.

Also the VM's file are on another datastore along with the swap files. One weird thing is, in the Storage section under the Configuration Tab it's showing the volume as having 171GB of free space... Looking in the datastore it's reporting the size of one of the VMDK's incorrectly. Any ideas why that's happening?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

Swap file / snapshots.

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
0 Kudos
bigredergib
Contributor
Contributor

The swapfiles for all VM's are stored in another datastore (seperate physical disk).

Snapshots could make sense but I haven't created any snapshots for about a week.

Something is going on with the free space calculation. Before I started up a VM on a different Datastore it reported 30GB free space, now it it says 83MB (Megabytes!) Looking at the datastore of the files listed there's only about 67GB out of 200GB used.

Does the Datastore Browser not report all files? Why is there such a huge discrepancy?

Message was edited by: bigredergib

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

Right click on the datastore and Refresh

bigredergib
Contributor
Contributor

Yeah I've tried that.

I found this thread earlier. http://communities.vmware.com/thread/175824

It makes sense that if I tally up the file sizes of all files I see in the Database Browser I should get a total that matches the Used space, right?

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

You don't necessarily see all the files in the datastore browser. Try from the unsupported console.

bigredergib
Contributor
Contributor

Ok I'll give that a try.

0 Kudos