VMware Cloud Community
Alaponuko
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Out of Space in Datastore unable to consolidate, what can I do now?

Dear all:

today one VM server was shutdown due to latest veeam snapshot.

I wen to vm machine on snapshot manager and delete the snapshot.

After deleting the server was started up and looks like everything is OK except the message that server need consolidation.

I tried to consolidate but when I try to consolidate it shows me this error

An error occurred while consolidating disks: msg.disklib.NOSPACE.

Following instruction from vmware knowledge base I am cloning the VM to another DataStore which is has a little bit more space (just temporary) so I am going to test if this will work this cloned VM like the original one.

I have few questions. the Original VM is up and runing propertly... but I am not sure what to do next, please can you help me?

1º Can I move the original VM machine to another Datastore with more space an them consolidate? or this is very risky?

2º can I still use the actual VM without consolidate until I buy new Datastore and the move to new dataStore and consolidate? or maybe clone the VM to new datastore and them remove the old VM?

3º If the cloned version works like the original VM machine, I supposed that I can move the clone version to production and remove the unconsolidated VM this original DataStore?

Kind Regards,

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

It's nothing unusual to "Migrate" VM's from one datastore to another. With Essentials this will unfortunately require downtime though (no live storage migration available).

Anyway, cloning should also work. The clone will however get a new UUID and MAC address, (i.e. you may need to reconfigure networking), and the cloned VM will get a new VM-ID, which might be important if you are using a VM based backup application. On the other hand, cloning will not touch the source, so if something doesn't work as expected you still have the source available.

André

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
12 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

With this message in mind, it's rather risky to run the VM with active snapshots, as these could grow and cause issues with this and other VMs on the same datastore.

To find out which options are available please provide the following information:

• the output of ls -lisa from the VM's folder on the datastore
  • free disk space on this, and other available datsatores (make sure you "Refresh" the disk usage to update the current values)
  • vSphere version and edition

André

0 Kudos
Alaponuko
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hello thank you so much for your fast answer.

Fist this is the only VM machine in the data Store and the vSphere version is 5.5.0 (2403361) on the ESXi.

Now I am still cloning the Server...43% to the Data Store that has more space (see attached)

I ask to run this VM because is the primary File server of the company and users need to work with it, just to use it until I receive the new the new RS815+ with 16TB that I am going to buy on Monday Morning. (maybe just 7 or 10 Days)

Please see attached files, let me know if this enough or more info is need it.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Are you actually cloning the VM, or do you use Storage vMotion to migrate the VM to the larger datastore?

With vSphere 5.5 Essentials Plus (or better) in place, you can use Storage vMotion to live migrate the VM to another datastore.

This should work, and the consolidation should succeed on the larger datastore. So let's wait and see how things go ...

André

0 Kudos
Alaponuko
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I only have Essentials version, so now the VM is turned off, at this moment, I am cloning the VM , because I did not sure if moving the VM to another Datastore should work (I did not find any information to move the VM to another DataStore and them Consolidate without harming the virtual machine.)

...but Do you tell me that If I move the VM to an other datastore will not corrupt the VM at all, and will work as usual? this will be a great solution

Ragards

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

It's nothing unusual to "Migrate" VM's from one datastore to another. With Essentials this will unfortunately require downtime though (no live storage migration available).

Anyway, cloning should also work. The clone will however get a new UUID and MAC address, (i.e. you may need to reconfigure networking), and the cloned VM will get a new VM-ID, which might be important if you are using a VM based backup application. On the other hand, cloning will not touch the source, so if something doesn't work as expected you still have the source available.

André

0 Kudos
Alaponuko
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

so at this case. what  do you recommend  stop cloning and move the VM or use the cloned VM and remove the old one?

the thing that worry me is if i can move the VM without consolidate and them this could corrupt the VM

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Since cloning is already running, I'd let it finish and see whether everything works as expected.

André

0 Kudos
Alaponuko
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

ok i will follow  your instructions. .really much appreciate your help...i will keep informed

0 Kudos
Alaponuko
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

ok, the cloned version is working property, but I want  to still using the unconsolidated VM because is fully configured, I am going to buy the a new Synology RS815RP+ with 16TB

Do you think that the unconsolidated VM will work a few days until I receive the new Datastore Device, or it is too much risk? I will have the cloned VM version as backup if the original fail.

when I receive the new Cabin I will move the unconsolidated VM to new Datastore and consolidate.

and one question more do you think that is a risk meanwhile I am using the unconsolidated VM crear veeam backup of this VM?

Regards,

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Do you think that the unconsolidated VM will work a few days until I receive the new Datastore Device, or it is too much risk?

It's definitely a (high!) risk, because the snapshot will grow depending on the changes made in the guest OS.

and one question more do you think that is a risk meanwhile I am using the unconsolidated VM crear veeam backup of this VM?

Definitely not. However with the low disk space, you should run the backup with either the VM powered off, or out of business hours. Veeam - like other backup applications - will create an additional temporary snapshot for the backup which will consume disk space too.

Why don't you want to use the clone, and what is it what you think you need to reconfigure on it? From what you said, it's a file server so there shouldn't be much to do.

If I were you, I'd either switch to the clone, or run a cold (powered off) migration of the original VM. The latter will migrate the VM's current state, including all settings like MAC address, ...

André

0 Kudos
Alaponuko
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

ok, once a again, thank you so much for all you help, your support, help me a lot.

Really much appreciated

Kind Regards,

0 Kudos
Alaponuko
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hello:

I come back just to say thanks a again and finally I have migrated the old VM to new datastore disk are only 7200rpm but this will be the only VM in this Datastore so I supposed no problems with too much I/O request.

After the migration the disk was also consolidated automatically so nothing has to be done, just run.

thank you so much

0 Kudos