VMware Cloud Community
dauphin77
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Option to auto restore VM's on a weekly basis within vCenter. Is it possible?

Hello,

I am currently using ESXi 5 and vCenter 5 and I would like to query on if there is a an option that would allow me to auto restore multiple VM's (circa 50 VM's) to there original state at the beginning of each work week vice actually restoring them manually? I have a training environment where I need to be able to reset the VM's at the start of each week.

Is there any option within vCenter to do this or will I need to come up with a script file to be able to accomplish this sort of task?

Any help/advice would be appreciated.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
dauphin77
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks julienvarela!

The Independent/Nonpersistent mode actually works pretty well especially since you can still restart (not shutdown) and still hold the settings until a complete shutdown is performed.

One more question, do you know if I can schedule a task to shutdown all VM's and then restart them in vCenter?

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Never mind, I figured it out. Will schedule a task to shutdown all the VM's on a weekly basis once I convert all the VM hard disks to Independent/Nonpersistent.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
julienvarela
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Hi,

You can configure your hard drive using  Independent Non-persistent Mode and create a schedule task on your vCenter . Every time your VM will be restarted , all modified data will be lost.

For more information regarding differences : VMware vSphere 5.1

Regards,

Julien

Regards, J.Varela http://vthink.fr
dauphin77
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks julienvarela!

The Independent/Nonpersistent mode actually works pretty well especially since you can still restart (not shutdown) and still hold the settings until a complete shutdown is performed.

One more question, do you know if I can schedule a task to shutdown all VM's and then restart them in vCenter?

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Never mind, I figured it out. Will schedule a task to shutdown all the VM's on a weekly basis once I convert all the VM hard disks to Independent/Nonpersistent.

0 Kudos