VMware Cloud Community
Joeyg2391201110
Contributor
Contributor

Optimized Motherboard BIOS Configs for ESXi 4.1 install

Hello Guys,

Planning on running esxi 4.1 on a new AM3 system i have.  Was wondering what bios options you recommend i disable to get the board running stable and efficient.  I know i have to disable my nic since it's not compatible and disable the C1E option for the CPU.  Should i leave the HD in IDE mode or AHCI mode?  Anything else you can think of i would greatly appreciate it.  I will have a SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD502HJ 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5", ASUS M4A78LT-M AM3 AMD 760G HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard, and AMD Athlon II X4 640 Propus 3.0GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache Socket AM3 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor.  Basic windows 2008 DC and file server.

Thanks

0 Kudos
3 Replies
piaroa
Expert
Expert

Make sure you enable all hardware virtualization options in the BIOS, set the power settings to maximum performance.

If this post has been helpful/solved your issue, please mark the thread and award points as you see fit. Thanks!
0 Kudos
Joeyg2391201110
Contributor
Contributor

what about the mode for HD's?

Thanks

0 Kudos
piaroa
Expert
Expert

I've had issues with whiteboxes using AHCI, so I always use Native mode (IDE) for SATA drives.

If this post has been helpful/solved your issue, please mark the thread and award points as you see fit. Thanks!