VMware Cloud Community
hack3rcon
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Operatin system not Found.

Hello.

I converted a "XVA" file into "Raw" via qemu-img and then convert this Raw file into "VHD" via VirtualBox via below commands :

qemu-img convert -O raw input_file.xva output.raw

VBoxManage convertfromraw input_file.raw output_file.vhd --format VHD

At the end, I use "Winimage" for conver this "VHD" into "VDMK" and then imported it into ESXi 5.5 but ESXi tell me "Operating system not found". How can I solve it?

I want to test my XenServer compatibility with VMware.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
9 Replies
cykVM
Expert
Expert

Same answer as in your other thread: Import VM from other products to ESXi 5.5

You may also read: Qemu disk image conversion | Fun with virtualization

Much easier approach by using VMWare coneverter...

0 Kudos
CoolRam
Expert
Expert

Re: How to convert KVM (.img file) to Vmware compatible format (.vmx)

If you find any answer useful. please mark the answer as correct or helpful.
0 Kudos
hack3rcon
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Not worked Smiley Sad

I convert "XVA" into "vmdk" but not worked too.

0 Kudos
CoolRam
Expert
Expert

I Think you tried this  http://didyourestart.blogspot.in/2013/03/convert-xenserver-xva-to-vmdk-for.html

But i want to know what all the error you Got!!!!

If you find any answer useful. please mark the answer as correct or helpful.
0 Kudos
cykVM
Expert
Expert

As soon as multiple conversion processes and converters are involved it's most/more likely to fail.

Have you tried the more direct route:

1. power on the VM you like to migrate/convert on your XenServer
  2. use vCenter converter to convert the powered on VM directly into your ESXi host (V2V conversion) - you need (root/admin) access credentials to the VM

You may also read: VMware KB: Best practices for using and troubleshooting VMware Converter

0 Kudos
hack3rcon
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yes. I did.

I attached two photos for you. ESXi can't let me to change IDE to "lsilogic" or...

VM111.png

VM111111111.png

0 Kudos
cykVM
Expert
Expert

But those screens are from the qemu -> ... -> WinImage converted machine, I guess?

You can't switch to lsilogic controller at that place, you have to add it first. Thereafter you would have some SCSI device nodes.

You may read: VMware KB: Converting a virtual IDE disk to a virtual SCSI disk

or VMware KB: A virtual machine fails to power on with the error: Unsupported and/or invalid disk type

0 Kudos
cykVM
Expert
Expert

P.S. So WinImage is the main culprit here as VHD boot disk is usually IDE and ESXi boot disk should be SCSI, WinImage seems to ignore that on conversion. You should be able to switch that using VMWare converter doing a V2V conversion.

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

>I converted a "XVA" file into "Raw" via qemu-img and then convert this Raw file into "VHD" via VirtualBox via below commands :

> qemu-img convert -O raw input_file.xva output.raw

The raw format is already the one you need - every further conversion is unnecessary.
For the raw file you only need  to write the textdescriptor-vmdk and can use the raw-file as a *-flat.vmdk.SCSI problems.

That also solves the IDE-

0 Kudos