VMware Cloud Community
jamieorth
Expert
Expert

Opening Console for VM does not open correct size when using Windows 7 as the host for the vi client...

We just recently updated our department workstations to Windows 7 64bit. I have noticed that when I go to launch a VM console from within the VI Client that the window does not open to the proper size of the VM's resolution. I always have to drag the window to a larger size. This does not happen on my Windows XP pc. Another odd thing is that when I attach to our DR vCenter and open a VM console, it does open to the correct size (but only after opening the vm one time prior)

Here are my thoughts on what could be happening:

1) Aero interface? The VI client does seem to draw very slow now.

2) Timing? The DR vCenter is not local of course, so maybe the console has the time to adjust to the correct size?

I have searched vmware and google for this and didn't see anything, so either I am not using the correct search terms or I am the only one experiencing the issue. Anybody else out there running into this?

Regards...

Jamie

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".

Remember, if it's not one thing, it's your mother...

0 Kudos
4 Replies
HannaL
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Are you running the most recent updates?

Hope that helps,

Hanna

---

BSCS, VCP2, VCP VI3, VCP vSphere

Hope that helps, Hanna --- BSCS, VCP2, VCP VI3, VCP vSphere, VCP 5 https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/mydeveloperworks/blogs/vmware-support-ibm
0 Kudos
jamieorth
Expert
Expert

All the systems (ESX hosts, vCenter, Client) are at the latest patch release, with the exception of Update 2 that was just released. If it was a patch level or something like that then I would not think that connecting to a remote console on a VM at the DR datacenter would work properly, but it does, it's only at the production datacenter. I have tried to think of any different configuration that they may have but as far as I know and can tell they are the same.

'Regards...

Jamie

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".

0 Kudos
jamieorth
Expert
Expert

OK, I can't be the only one that experiences this issue. It happened at my old job, at home in the lab, and at the new job. Thats 3 different environments all with the same problem.

I get real tired of having to click on VIEW | Autofit to uncheck, and then clicking on it again to check it and have the virtual console resize properly.

Regards...

Jamie

0 Kudos
dgrace
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

No, you aren't the only one. I am running Vista 64 and see the issue. One of these days I'll get the time to do the Win7-64 upgrade. Instead of playing with the Autofit I just select View/Fit Window Now. Running 4.0U2. My VI client also flashes a lot. Hoping the Win7 upgrade will help so I've lived with it.

0 Kudos