VMware Cloud Community
wmassingham
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Only one virtual host can reach the gateway at a time?

I've installed ESXi 6 on an HP ProLiant DL380p Gen8 and gotten one virtual host up and running. But it seems that no matter what I do, only one host can reach the gateway at one time. Any other hosts brought up can ping other virtual hosts and the ESXi hardware, but can't get any further than that. And the same is true from the outside: I can reach ESXi and one host from outside that subnet, but any others are unreachable.

I've verified that each host is configured properly and identically, and that they have different MAC addresses, and even gone as far as to clone a VM that had network access, with no success.

The upstream network hardware isn't under my control, but they swear there isn't anything that should be causing this behavior. The ProLiant server has a Broadcom NetXtreme BCM5719, 1 Gbit full duplex. The guests are CentOS 7 x64, with vmxnet3 adapters (but Intel E1000 adapters exhibit the same behavior). All hosts are on the same port group.

Any ideas?

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Welcome to the Community,

this sounds as if the port on the physical switch has port security enabled, which usually limits the number of allowed MAC addresses to 2. Depending on the switch model this may be named "desktop" mode. Changing the port setting to access (or trunk) mode should solve the issue.

André

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Welcome to the Community,

this sounds as if the port on the physical switch has port security enabled, which usually limits the number of allowed MAC addresses to 2. Depending on the switch model this may be named "desktop" mode. Changing the port setting to access (or trunk) mode should solve the issue.

André

0 Kudos