mortengh
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Only about 50% CPU cycles available?

Hello!

Hardware: SuperMicro A1SRM-2758F (8x2.4Ghz CPU - no hyper-threading), 32GB RAM

Hypervisor: ESXi-5.5 build 2068190

I have tried to create max CPU load on the system ("cat /dev/urandom >/dev/null" - started 10 times in parallel both on in the VM and on the ESXi host it self).

According to the hardware specs I should have 8x2.4Ghz = 19.2Ghz available.

I have:

Configuration --> Hardware --> Power Managements --> Active Policy: High Performance

Configuration --> Software --> System Resource Allocation --> System Resource Reservation --> CPU: 240 Mhz   (19.20Ghz - 0.24Ghz = 18.96Ghz for VMs)

So! Why is it that only 16.2Ghz is available for VMs (in 'Resource Allocation --> CPU --> Total Capacity)

And on the 'Summary' page CPU usage maxes out at 11.2Ghz?

Why can I only load my CPUs at about half the capacity?

Best regards,

- Morten Green Hermansen, Fanitas

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
mortengh
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hello people!

Pressing 'p' in esxtop made me realize that I had a BIOS mis-configuration. Now 8 times 'cat /dev/zero > /dev/null &' on the ESXi host will result in 19199Mhz used which is 1Mhz from max!

Phey!

Sorry for 'craying wolf'!

PS: At least I got my knowledge of C- and P-CPU states refreshed! 🙂

Best regards,

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Remember there is CPU overhead for the ESXi host so that is why you will never be able to assign all CPU cycles to a VM - now on to the question why only 50% - how many virtual cpus does your vm have? I am assuming one - because a vcpu can only run on a single core at a time -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
mortengh
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hello weinstein5!

I assigned 7 vCPUs to the 8 pCPU system (left one to the hypervisor). But I ran 20 processes - 10 in the VM and 10 on the ESXi host itself.

This should max out the CPU usage would I mean.

Please see the screenshot below.

By starting 10 threads on the ESXi host I will max out all CPU cores.

Please note that CPU usage is exactly 11200Mhz... This is exactly 8 x 1.4Ghz... This is noteworthy!

Screen Shot 2015-03-27 at 21.16.06.png

Seems like the CPU is stalled in one of the ACPI power saving states. But I have 'high performance' as the active policy.

My other ESXi servers can run the blue bar all the way to 100% when CPU is maxed out.

Best regards,

0 Kudos
mortengh
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hello people!

Pressing 'p' in esxtop made me realize that I had a BIOS mis-configuration. Now 8 times 'cat /dev/zero > /dev/null &' on the ESXi host will result in 19199Mhz used which is 1Mhz from max!

Phey!

Sorry for 'craying wolf'!

PS: At least I got my knowledge of C- and P-CPU states refreshed! 🙂

Best regards,

0 Kudos