VMware Cloud Community
felipesantos989
Contributor
Contributor

One CPU socket is in use more than the other

One CPU socket is in use more than the other, does it mean that i'm having CPU problems? i have to upgrade my CPU to a better one?

Obs: All VMs has 2 sockets per vCPU

Capturar.PNG

as you can see it doesn't keep a straight line both CPU, like on this image (the red part):

vmware esxi.PNG

0 Kudos
2 Replies
bluefirestorm
Champion
Champion

You wouldn't have this question if you understand what NUMA is; or at least you would have a different question such as how to ensure RAM locality. You should also read how ESXi schedules VMs in NUMA systems.

https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-vSphere/7.0/com.vmware.vsphere.resmgmt.doc/GUID-BD4A462D-5CDC-4483...

As an extreme example. Suppose you have a system with 2 CPU package each with 10 cores. You currently have only one VM running assigned with 4 vCPUs. That VM runs a web server that caches recently used/frequently used static files like HTML/javascript files, image file like GIFs, JPEGs, PNGs in RAM to avoid reading from disk. So the VM starts all vCPUs in package 0 and all the cached files are in the RAM connected to this CPU. You don't want ESXi to be scheduling this VM to package 1 as it would have a penalty in accessing the RAM on package 0. So in this scenario, even if package 1 is fully idle, you want it that way as you don't want your single VM have a penalty to access RAM on package 0.

0 Kudos
felipesantos989
Contributor
Contributor

So how to fix it? I still don't know what option i should change.

0 Kudos