VMware Cloud Community
writetooadnan
Contributor
Contributor

On ESXI 5.5 VM response is dead slow

I have ESXI 5.5 installed on Dell power edge T310.I have problem since last 10 days that VM (Server 2012 R2 & Server 2003 R2) are running dead slow. when i start these VM it takes approximately 30 Mins to boot and give login window. Any suggestions please.....

0 Kudos
6 Replies
jburen
Expert
Expert

I would start by looking at some performance metrics for your host and VMs.

Consider giving Kudos if you think my response helped you in any way.
0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

If anything like production workloads, consider that any version older than ESXi 6.5 is no longer supported or updated.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
writetooadnan
Contributor
Contributor

Before sharing the performance metrics/ log please look into the attached picture ...i cant get it correctly...what does it mean?

Storage.JPG

0 Kudos
nachogonzalez
Commander
Commander

Hey, hope you are doing fine.
That means your local storage is crying for help 🤣

Basically, most of the enterprise level severs (almost all) have RAID configured on the local disks (to ensure data is still accessible if disks fail) but in case a disk fail the storage will trigger try to keep that data blocks available with degraded performance.
That being said it seems like your array is heavily degraded, please take a look at that the iLO/iDRAC and check if you can replace the damaged disks and rebuild the array.

0 Kudos
writetooadnan
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the reply but i must say that i have only 2 hard drives are in this bay but message is for all the 4 slots. then how can you say that array is degraded and a normal message is also visible in front of each line.....please elaborate 

0 Kudos
jburen
Expert
Expert

IMHO I don't think there is a hardware failure. What you are seeing is normal behavior. From a VMware KB article: state assert <-- Health state of sensor: deassert(green) indicates good health, otherwise assert(red, yellow).

So my suggestion stays the same: check performance metrics...

Consider giving Kudos if you think my response helped you in any way.
0 Kudos