VMware Cloud Community
PaulRitchie
Contributor
Contributor

Odd Disk Disappearing behavior

Although I'm familiar with and use VMware daily, i'm only just getting started with my lab environment so please keep the technical beatings to a minimum Smiley Happy.

Here Goes:

I purchased a pretty elaborate "Lab" setup b/c I wanted to get serious about learning- here are the details

3X everything on this list

-Shuttle SH87R6

-I7-4770 3.4ghz Quad

-Crucial 240gb m500 SSD

-Mushkin 120gb mSATA SSD

-WD 1tb HDD

-32GB ram per system

-Adata DashDrive 8gb USB

-Lite-On DVD Burner

Heres the Story:

I installed ESXi 5.5, Got the BETA for VSAN and went to town. I had a 2.7TB VSAN up and running, I had about 9 VM's running for almost a month when suddenly I noticed that my Storage in VSAN was way down. I started poking around in vCenter and couldn't really identify much as its still pretty new to me. I was able to finally figure out how to identify which of my Hosts had lost storage. Thinking - its a lab environment- who cares really...I tried power cycling the entire environment and that's when things got messy. When I booted everything back up I was missing VM's and things were just pretty boogered up. All that said, the underlying issue was that I lost storage.

Now, I've "rebuilt" the environment (kicking myself...Cause that's always a fun task) and I'm back to square 1 with these disappearing disks. here's the problem in a nutshell- When performing any IO Intensive operations (simultaneous VMotions, VM creations, Patching on multiple systems) the 2 "SSD" disks randomly disappear. The Optical and HDD never disappear (might be worth noting that)

here's where it gets really funky...

I figure, let me storage VMotion the VM's over to one of the other hosts and then I can start working on identifying root cause for this Host. So yeah, I kick off a Vmotion and go to bed. I woke up the next morning and now I have 2 Hosts doing this. The original Host (which I half expected to find) and the host where the VMotions were headed which up until this point had exhibited ZERO issues. Again, its ONLY the 2 SSD's that disappear.

To get the disks to "re-appear" I have to power down the hosts and power them back up- a reboot doesn't work

What I've tried:

Switching the power adapters to the SSD's (thinking Power Supply issue)

Switching the Sata ports - Thinking SATA/MB issue

Removing 1 of the SSD- thinking possible problematic SSD

Removing the other SSD- Same thought

Same 2 disks disappearing... I'm already balding.. and this isn't helping...

Has anyone seen this or have any ideas on what I can do? Please be descriptive if you have something you'd like me to try..

thanks

Paul

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Najd
Contributor
Contributor

Your SSD has had a possible hardware failure. Check   if it requires a flash update to meet the specifications of your storage controller.

Best regards

0 Kudos
PaulRitchie
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks Najd

i think it's highly unlikely that I have 4 ssd's in two different boxes fail. But I'll see what I can figure out.

paul

0 Kudos
DDunaway
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

funny, I am in the exact same boat. 4 hosts, all identical.

SSDs are dropping off on all 4 hosts and I'm losing data.

Re: Losing SSDs

0 Kudos
JarryG
Expert
Expert

What I would do is following:

1. flash SSD with the latest official firmware

2. secure-erase the whole SSD (i.e. some live-cd with hdparm) to revert SSD to factory-default condition

3. format 240GB to only 200GB. Leave rest unformated (SSD-controller will use it as extra over-provisioning)

_____________________________________________ If you found my answer useful please do *not* mark it as "correct" or "helpful". It is hard to pretend being noob with all those points! 😉
0 Kudos