VMware Cloud Community
sel57
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Obtaining HBA driver and firmware info from ESXi host

How would I obtain HBA driver and firmware info if the commands I'm following are not always 100% effective? I'm having mixed results in my 6.0 environment gathering HBA data. Using the info in the below kb's, sometimes the commands work, sometimes they don't. (Example: Failed to read key-value instance) Other times the location isn't found. (Example: /proc/scsi/lpfc location doesn't exist for Emulex HBA)

To frustrate me further, some of my hosts are not accessible via SSH even when the svc is started, which means I'll have to restart mgmt agents or reboot the machine when time allows, but for now I've tried running them from the DCUI, but I'm struggling to display the data in a way I can read what I need. (The result of /usr/lib/vmware/vmkmgmt_keyval/vmkmgmt_keyval -a is long, and there's no way I know to scroll up if what you need is off the screen) I understand in linux you can use tail or more, but I haven't had much luck formatting in the shell.

https://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=10272...

Identifying the firmware of a Qlogic or Emulex FC HBA (1002413) | VMware KB

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

If some hosts are not accessible via SSH, you could try checking in vcenter to see if lockdown mode is enabled.

From the console, you could try the following:

/usr/lib/vmware/vmkmgmt_keyval/vmkmgmt_keyval -a | grep -A2 -B5 "FW Version:"

0 Kudos
sel57
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi p_hall-

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately I don't get any type of output from the below command.

0 Kudos